fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 'old Mill Stone' has traveled a lot in it's time.
It was 'quarried' in Ireland, came to America on a sailing ship, (probably to New Orleans), then up the Mississippi river to the Arkansas on a 'Side wheeler', to Ft. Smith AR.
Then traveled (by wagon) to its location in W. AR, where it was
installed with (its mate) at a 'Grist mill' on a small creek.
The name of the creek on local maps is called 'mill race'.
My Great-Grand-father, & my Grandfather had their corn ground for 'cornmeal' here.
After the mill rotted away,(there are still timbers visible) in the creek, my Grandfather took it to his home.
After WW2, my uncle made a 'bottom step', for the house, I remember it there as a small boy.
After my Grandparents passed away, the uncle moved it to
Muskogee OK where he lived.
When he became 'elderly', we moved it to my sons house in
E. OK, just a few miles from the 'old mill site'.
Its (mate stone) is about three miles from the 'Mill site', at a local mans home.
Maybe it won't have to move much more, I will pass it on to my children (with the story), of the 'much traveled stone'.

Fossis..............

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 401

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: This Old Stone

Great story and pic, Fossis. Thanks for sharing. That stone has a lot of miles on it. It deserves a good "retirement".

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RON (PA) said:
Great story and pic, Fossis. Thanks for sharing. That stone has a lot of miles on it. It deserves a good "retirement".

Thanks Ron, it sure does.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
Great post Fossis > Love the old stone ! and your story behind it . Your post are always so very unique and interesting :)

Thanks so much Carolina.

Fossis.............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
I agree with Carolina. A very interesting unique story. I hope you are putting down these memories on tape Fossis. It will mean a lot to family down the road. I'm 75 and have a lot of minutes on tape.I wish my Dad and older Brothers had did this.
Van

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Thanks for posting this marvelous stone and wonderful story.

I was already having a wonderful day and now the following hours will be brighter.

Thanks

River

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
I agree with Carolina. A very interesting unique story. I hope you are putting down these memories on tape Fossis. It will mean a lot to family down the road. I'm 75 and have a lot of minutes on tape.I wish my Dad and older Brothers had did this.
Van

Thanks Van, I wish my G-Great Grandparents had left a diary, but all we can do now is leave our (oral), & written stories to our children & Grand-children.
I heard many stories from my 88 year old Mother, who rode in the buggy with her Grandmother, & heard her stories of the past.
Even my Mom can remember the KKK coming into a community meeting, looking for someone, almost scared her to death. :-[
Sometimes, we think the younger ones don't care, but later they start looking for 'their roots'.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bytheriver said:
Thanks for posting this marvelous stone and wonderful story.

I was already having a wonderful day and now the following hours will be brighter.

Thanks

River

You're quite welcome.

Fossis..............

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hey Fossis,are you in the area between Muskogee and Ft Smith? Back in the early 50's,I knew a guy lived in that area,I think the little town started with a 'B',anyway,I use to buy 'white lightening'from him out of his barn.The gals would come over from Ft Smith,even tho we were closer to Muskgoee.This was before 'Grand Lake'or 'Eufala'.It was a pretty area.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
Hey Fossis,are you in the area between Muskogee and Ft Smith? Back in the early 50's,I knew a guy lived in that area,I think the little town started with a 'B',anyway,I use to buy 'white lightening'from him out of his barn.The gals would come over from Ft Smith,even tho we were closer to Muskgoee.This was before 'Grand Lake'or 'Eufala'.It was a pretty area.

No, I'me south of Ft. Smith, but found my 'little transplanted Hoosier' in Muskogee, been married 31 years now. ;D

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
narragansett said:
There are some things in life that you could not put a monetary figure on if you had to.

So true

Fossis.............

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
nice i have only half of a bottom that i found a number of months back at a old site it's slightly smaller then yours nice stone

Attachments

• grist 3jpg.jpg
    grist 3jpg.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 230

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's really neat. Just think of the stories that stone could tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread