Went back to the same site and finally an Indian Head! and some beer too!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, I went back to the same near river site for some more hunting. My finds in the beginning were sparce, but i managed to find a shallow clad dime. I walked some more and then got a hit from the DFX that VDIed 48 at 1/2 inch deep. Being someone that digs everything positive, i dug it, even though it was probably a bottle cap. It turned out to be an old eagle button. After finding the button, I found 2 unopened beers in a shopping bag and decided to drink them. Why not . It's not like i was driving anywherwe and i could redeem them later I then went back across the small kill and went into a dense wooded area. As i followed a path, i got a hit at 55 between 1/2 inch and 0 inches. Figuring that I've found zinc memorials around the area, i figued it was one of those. Too shallow to be an indian! WRONG! I then conentrated on shallow signals and found another clad dime and 2 memorials from the 60s at 1-2 inches. I might be new, but i was smart enough to dig those shallow signals. As I quote the slogan from the lottery, "Hey, you never know." Until someone invents x-ray goggles that can see through anything nonmetal, the only way to know for sure is to dig! Here's some pics! The Indian is a 1900 if you can't read it. The beer is natural ice, which is cheap and tastes terrible. But who doesn't like finding beer and old stuff in the woods! One of the following pics is the bottle dump from a previous post

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 766
  • IMGP0142.JPG
    IMGP0142.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 770
  • IMGP0141.JPG
    IMGP0141.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 758
  • IMGP0143.JPG
    IMGP0143.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 765
  • IMGP0145.JPG
    IMGP0145.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and I mean Nice Eagle button, Congrats on the IH and other coins. Beer Priceless!

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
DFX
Now that I've gotten through breakfast class, I was itching to go back to the same woods and do some MDing where i found the IH cent. Things started out slow, especcially with the cloudburst around 12:30. The weather then let up for I little and I was rolling. When I reached the spot, I quickly found the first two IHs, 1897 and 1905 a half a foot from each other at about 1" deep. I walked down a path and got a 3" Penny dime signal which was a 59 memorial. I then started to find a lot of small bullet shells and shotgun shells which i didnt post. Those things are the pulltabs of the woods! They come in about upper 20s-mid 30s on the DFX and the small ones can bounce around from the negatives to the 70s and can appear to be 3x as deep as they really are. They could drive you nuts. Since I dig all positive signals, i dug them anyway because one of those bouncy signals between pulltab and bottlecap was the 1903 IH at 5 inches deep. I soon got a 1944 wheat at 2" and a broken sounding 90s signal which was undoubtedly a bottlecap but i still dug it up. I got an unusually deep 67 memorial at 5 inches and the rain picked up a little and headed for dinner. Definetly one of my best days coinwise. Clad is nice, but finding the old stuff in the shade is nicer! The 1903's at least a VF. I wont hunt again until the Ossining club hunt Saturday

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 531

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Congrats on the finds,that is awful beer,but at a price like that it's hard to turn it down.
Jim

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
DFX
I would like to know how old the button is , but what puzzles me is that the button and indians were very shallow( 1 inch or less on most of the finds) I havent found that many old coins, but most of the time i hear finds like this are usually very deep. What would cause old coins to stay shallow and newer coins to be deeper in the same area?

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, out metal detecting and get payed in beer, is there a better job? i dont think so!

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I hope you dont mind, but i posted this button on another forum, and posted i did not dig it. here is a link.

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/relic/relic_config.pl?read=155971

and here is one of the response's to what your button is, very nice find.

Its a Navy...Looks like NA190 in Tice...If so, its a two piece, low convex made ust before 1830...See pages 155 and 156 in Tice.

Again very nice button, and i hope i didnt offend you by posting it to finding out what it was.....HH.....Bill

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Is it possible to get a picture of the back of the button, there is some discussion going on about this button now. saying it may be an unknown veriable of a differant button. Lol im not an expert, but I know where to find the experts at. Thanks....HH.....Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread