Went looking for a Gold Chain and found one

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I saw a post the other day, where someone said his detector didn’t register a signal over a gold chain. I air tested one and sure enough the signal I got was erratic and probably one I wouldn’t pay much attention to in the field.

This made me think that gold chains are probably one of the most lost and less found of all jewelry items.

So I went to one of the most popular parks in my town and hit the chips in the play area. This place was so hunted out, that I didn’t even hit on a penny. But I was determined to find a gold chain. Every time I got an iffy signal, I hit the all metal mode, and pinpointed the source and checked it out.

After an hour of doing this, I came up with this nice 18K gold chain. I don’t know if I could do it again, but it made me feel a sense of accomplishment, finding something I was specifically looking for.

Attachments

• gldchn.JPG
    gldchn.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
congrats on the chain i learned my lesson with iffy signals and dig every thing now good luck and hh

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
A TH'er with a plan...accomplished, quite a feat!!
Congrats on the sweet gold chain. WTG!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first bought a Cobra Beach/Land Metal Detector and took it home. I tested it in back yard using a couple silver and gold coins, and some gold chains, pull tabs, pop tops. It would give me good signal on the coins and gold coins, but it would not even beep over the gold chains.

I went back to Kellyco and asked that what I was doing wrong as I was sure it was pilot error. I was told that chains are the hardest items to detect unless they have a large clasp.

I asked if I could exchange mine as I had not used it at all except to test it on the grass in my back yard one time, they told me I could. (Highly Recommend Kellyco) I asked which detectors they had that would see the gold chains, I was shown several and by the price range I could afford I settled on the Whites Beach Hunter ID. It saw the gold chains every single time I passed over them, even the thin chains.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find - 18K!! Very nice!!! I believe you're absolutely right that gold chains (bracelets, necklaces, anklets etc...) - especially the thin ones are probably some of the most often lost and least often found items on beaches and in the water.

A metal detector that can find them every time is worth it's weight in gold for sure!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats on defeating your purpose.

Gold chains and braclets dont come in real well on my unit either. It's almost like a broken foil signal.

Those are the types of hits you get at the end of hunting out a site.

HH Jer

OP
OP
caratjuice

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
bomber said:
what did the vdi come up at?
I can't remember what came up at the time. I just tested it in the back yard and I got variety of positive vdi's 12,15,25 48, but nothing solid or repeatable. In fact on some sweeps there was no signal. I was hunting with the preamp at 4, with 14Hz and no discrimination. The only solid signal I can pull up is in the all metal mode, while holding the trigger. It's a tough way to hunt, but like JerDfx says, it works best with fewer targets.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
very nice,,,,,, things that make ya go hmmmmm....... thanks for the info..

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My second time out...ever I found a gold chain! I was using a BH Land Ranger. I don't think I would have got it but it was in the same hole with a clad penny. All I was getting was the clad penny signal. I was surprized to say the least! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread