Went to the Grisdale logging camp this weekend

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
I took my two youngest sons up to look for the Grisdale logging camp this weekend. It was the last operating company logging town in the U.S, and closed in the 70's. When it was bulldozed it had been in operation since the 1800's, so I thought if we could find some remains we might do a little MDing. Well, we found the camp, but didn't spend time MD'ing, just too much to explore. At the end of the day I ran in to another guy back there looking for the remains of the house he grew up in! He proved to be a wealth of information.

It's hike in only off a forest service road.
Our first sign of human habitation was this row of trees, definately too straight not to have been planted.

100_0189.jpg

Later, the gentleman I talked two told me these trees wich were also planted by humans (notice the nice straight rows) were right next to the single mens bunk house. They were just seedlings when he was a kid.

100_0168.jpg

This used to be the dance hall. He showed me where both exits were and this is the first place I'm going to detect. There was liquor sold in the camp. Liquor + dancing = dropped items when going outside for a smoke :)

100_0210.jpg

Signs of the railroad that used to take supplies in and logs out.

100_0189.jpg

100_0185.jpg

100_0187.jpg

More foundations and a pile of bulldozed concrete.

100_0199.jpg

100_0189.jpg

100_0195.jpg

I have a good idea where the residential houses were, but they were on log skids so there are no foundations to mark them. I also found the site of the school house but didn't know it untill after I talked to the former resident, but it's another good prospect. He told me where the old swimming hole was on the creek, where as a kid they found belted MG ammo! I think this place will keep me busy for a LONG time :)

I'll be heading back hopefully this weekend with my sons, this time we're bringing backpacks and supplies and going to stay a few days.

Attachments

• 100_0213.jpg
    100_0213.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_0191.jpg
    100_0191.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,520

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i was closer to you to help :o

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW that looks like its going to be a blast!!!

Have a great time, I look forward to seeing your finds!!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Nice post. Thanks for the pics and I hope you and your boys have a fantastic time up there, but please be careful.

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
Zym, I live just north of you near Poulsbo. Been detecting for about 25 years. Looks like a great spot. I hunt some lumber mill ghost towns up this way similar to the one you found. Found lot's of Barber and Seated silver coins along with some nice relics. Should be some great finds there for you.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
If you don't find anything( with all that history--you will) you have a beautiful place to hunt and take in some scenery, breath fresh air, enjoy it. :)

Happy Hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread