Western and Eastern Treasures Mag - Worth it?

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't subscribed to it but do buy an issue once in awhile. I think they're a bit pricey though...over $5 US now. But, when the net goes down or when winter keeps you in and you want to whelm yourself in images and stories about treasure...what else can you do? I like reading the "Treasure In The News" bits...and of course, always want to see if there is anything new to the hobby like detectors, tools or methods etc. I think attitudes have changed a lot in the world regarding printed press...because of internet, largely. It's almost like paper anything is taboo because it means killing trees. Sorry...I'll stop there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I subscribe, I don't mind if they kill trees

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I think about things in those terms, but then I consider other ways I've spent my money... such as $35 for coffee for 1 week.

I love to think along those lines, IP. I play that game with my wife all the time.

Last night, we we're tired and doing some grocery shopping on the way home from our niece's graduation. We were trying figure out what would be a simple supper, and my wife said we should pick up a bucket of chicken. I agreed with her until we got to the seafood counter. They had some lovely fresh scallops, but they were $20 a pound. I said why not we get those, and fry em up and have a package of steamed vegetables to go along with? She said too expensive. I said we'd be spending $20 for a bucket of chicken. Guess what: We got the scallops.

Many things are a matter of perception. I don't subscribe to W&ET but I probably should. I used to. In fact, I published an article with them back in '98 or so and they gave me a free year of subscription as payment.

Print is either dead or dying. Should we spend money to keep it going? Is it our responsibility? Has anyone ever heard of Joseph Schumpeter? He was an economist back in the 1940s, and he developed a term that describes an economic structure of capitalism that is continually collapsing from within, yet is continually being replaced by new and upgraded structures and processes. In simple terms, we are witnessing the natural progression of a business on the decline (print & paper) and one rising to take its place (internet).

Good thread. Apologies if I got too deep. Sometimes it is just a matter of following your heart.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buy a couple of magazines a year from both of the publishers. The expense is a bit high at the stand but at least you can look at it and decide if you really want it there, not worth subscribing to in general is my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions