Wet ground, mosquitos and bees and a first for my daughter!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure that everyone knows this already, but we've had quite a bit of rain in the midwest lately. I was originally planning on staying home and getting my kids ready for school. I woke up early on Saturday morning and the sun was shining and there was no way that I was going to stay in the house. To my surprise, my 14 year old was awake and actually wanted to md with me! We stopped for a bagel and oj and hit the road. Ended up at a park with an old house in it and dug lots of metal and assorted junk. The ground was wet and it was pretty muddy going. The mosquitos were thick, even though we were liberally coated in insect repellent goo. The highlight is that Heather found an old looking marble and a copper dohicky of unknown origin. While I was digging, I felt a sting on my ankle and did the only natural thing, slapped it. When I got home and took off my socks, there was a squashed yellow jacket stuck to my ankle. :-\

Later in the day, we attempted to see the Simpson's movie, but discovered after we got to the theater that there had been a mistake in the movie times listed in the newspaper. My younger daugther (9) was very dissapointed, so I offered to take her mding and allow her to use her own md. (I picked up a 2nd Ace 250 cheap). We went to a local park and she, knowing everything, wanted to "do it myself". I left her to it and did my own thing. Pretty soon, she came scampering up to me with a dirty coin held up shouting, "Look what I found!!!" It turned out to be a Memorial penny from 2000, but the look on her face was worth more than gold. She was so proud of herself, and I'm so proud of her! She dug her plug, retrieved her coin and covered up the plug like a pro. We left 5 minutes later because she had to use the facilities (Boys are ALOT easier in this respect). We each found a penny and left happy. Melody couldn't wait to get home and tell her dad and sister and then call her grandparents and tell them all about her find. I gave her a special box to put all of her finds in. I think she may be hooked. ::)

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine, in a few more outings she will be "Queen of Swing"...That trip sounds like it was "priceless"..Hope she stays interested but then again...you get to look forward to boys and long phone calls about the day at school.....

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Nice little story. Hope the kids continue MD with you although I have to agree with SC...when the boys start calling their interests are going to change. So you might lose their companionship for 5 or 10 years but with any kind of luck they will be back.

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
What a great story and what a wonderful day you had..even with the yellowjacket!
She may be hooked, my youngest got hooked by a dime..;D
Glad you are getting out there and enjoying it!

DD

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i'd say she is hooked and will be your hunting partner for alongtime, at least till the interest in boys comes along, congrats on your finds and the hunting partner ;)

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT
What a great story!

It truely was a pleasure to read this thread :)

It took a nickel and a penny to get me hooked in this hobby ;D

The other day I was thinking about all the time I had available when i was kid, I was wishing that I had spent some of it detecting ::)

Way to go introducing the little ones to MD'ing!

HH

Nickel_B

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
artemis moon said:
I'm sure that everyone knows this already, but we've had quite a bit of rain in the midwest lately. I was originally planning on staying home and getting my kids ready for school. I woke up early on Saturday morning and the sun was shining and there was no way that I was going to stay in the house. To my surprise, my 14 year old was awake and actually wanted to md with me! We stopped for a bagel and oj and hit the road. Ended up at a park with an old house in it and dug lots of metal and assorted junk. The ground was wet and it was pretty muddy going. The mosquitos were thick, even though we were liberally coated in insect repellent goo. The highlight is that Heather found an old looking marble and a copper dohicky of unknown origin. While I was digging, I felt a sting on my ankle and did the only natural thing, slapped it. When I got home and took off my socks, there was a squashed yellow jacket stuck to my ankle. :-\

Later in the day, we attempted to see the Simpson's movie, but discovered after we got to the theater that there had been a mistake in the movie times listed in the newspaper. My younger daugther (9) was very dissapointed, so I offered to take her mding and allow her to use her own md. (I picked up a 2nd Ace 250 cheap). We went to a local park and she, knowing everything, wanted to "do it myself". I left her to it and did my own thing. Pretty soon, she came scampering up to me with a dirty coin held up shouting, "Look what I found!!!" It turned out to be a Memorial penny from 2000, but the look on her face was worth more than gold. She was so proud of herself, and I'm so proud of her! She dug her plug, retrieved her coin and covered up the plug like a pro. We left 5 minutes later because she had to use the facilities (Boys are ALOT easier in this respect). We each found a penny and left happy. Melody couldn't wait to get home and tell her dad and sister and then call her grandparents and tell them all about her find. I gave her a special box to put all of her finds in. I think she may be hooked. ::)

That is what I usually state to my brother after each coppa recovery. :D I always like to make him jealous. :D

HH, Dawn!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Great story, and don't you wish you could get that same thrill as she does over a penny. She's hooked now, just wait untill she finds a quarter.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sounds like a great day anyway!!!Rain soften the ground a bit, muddy but better that chipping away at grounds made of hard clay.
RD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread