Wet or Dry?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where the people go. Some beaches the crowd hardly goes in the water and the sand is like power. I enjoy the water the most and that's where the fingers get slippery.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WET/DRY

DO IT ALL IF IT'S PEAK SEASON AND YOU GOT THE TIME..YOUR BEST CHANCE FOR GOLD IS WET/WATER...BUT YOU'LL BE SURPRIZED WHAT THEY LOOSE IN THE DRY!!! SAW A NICE 3 DIAMOND..3-1/2 CT STONES SET IN PLAT. PULLED OUT OF DRY...PLUS WHERE PEOPLE PLAY VOLLEY BALL IN DRY HAS BEEN GREAT TO ME!!! GOOD HUNTING!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dry sanders always wonder how the wet sanders do and vice versa. I'm a dry sander(looking to convert) and just about every time I come across a wet sander we inquire about today's luck. I can think of a bunch of ways things get lost in wet and dry sand. We always think the grass is greener sometimes yes sometimes no. There's only one way to find out. I've been doing the dry sand for almost 7 years now and (hopefully) soon will see how the "other half" live.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willie, sometimes us old timey guys that do the wet lie about how good it is out there fighting the waves. It's all fun, go for it and enjoy. There are, "So Many Beaches, So Little Time."

Sandman

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both have there pro`s and con`s:

Wet pro`s: meaning ankle deep >>> deeper
Water shrinks skin
Waves catch people offguard
Frollicking around in the water
Wave action constantly moving objects

Wet Con`s: meaning ankle deep >>> deeper
Waterproof detector needed, (mandatory)
Wetsuit needed, (not neccesary but lets you hunt longer inwater below 70 deg.)
Strong enough to fight the wave and tidal action, (wears you out faster then dry sand hunting)
Fewer people then in dry area suntanning
Kamakazie surfers, skimboarders or body surfers
Toothy critters that think you look like a meal on wheels
jelly fish
Some oceans u can`t see area pinpointed so sometimes digging becomes hit or miss

Wet line pros: meaning ankle deep to the dry line
People leaving the water shaking off the water items fly
People walking down the beach on the firm sand wet feet toerings
Wave action deposits items after high tides or rough seas
Easier walking and swinging

Wet line cons: meaning ankle deep to dry line
Fewer people then in dry area suntanning
People walking up or down beach interfering with your tecting line

Dry pro`s:
Suntanning lotion
People take jewerly off to prevent whitelines in tans
Concession stand change laid on blankets
Watches laid on blankets

Dry Con`s:
Crowded beaches, (having to work around the crowds leaving many open spots )
Musicial interferance from radios, (very good headphones needed to block out outside noise)
Distractions from G-String clad gals laying on blankets(opps that is for both pro`s and cons )
People playing sports on the beach running into you
NO, you cannot run your detector over the gals laying there
Beach Sweeping
Beach replensing

I`m sure many people could add to both pro and con for all 3, this is just a small sample. Best of all worlds a tector like the excalibur wet when the beach is crowded then dry after the crowds have left. Work the wet til your tired then switch to the dry to recover switch back and forth.

One item that hasn`t been covered, ocean caches. All items have weight, wave and current action moves them to points of shore breaks, levees, jetties, or anything that will slow the wave, current action. "SOMETIMES" if you can locate one of these you can hit items lost mths,years ago that have settled into this area forming a nice cache. Naturally storms like canes, nor easters can possibly move them, but in protected area levee`s, jetties they sometimes sit there for years. Lighter items silver, watches, etc could be futher offshore perhaps to deep to hunt without a dive setup, heavier items gold, plat, closer to shore. Each item in its density and configuation(jewerly, coins, gold, silver etc) could be pooled up in different areas into caches.

I personelly have only found one such cache bout waist deep next to a jetty pulled out 6 silver rings almost all were same weight, various sizes, and all looked to have been lost at different times. Other items from this cache were very close in the same weight range all together 23 items were pulled out of this cache, but only 6 were keepers. This cache was formed by wave and current action moving items to a point of slowing, over maybe mths or even years, then depositing them there.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Sleeper:

Thanks. Interesting... about the "cache" thing. Makes sense.

Starsplitter

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found jewelry in chest deep water, pulled a nice 3/4 caret solitare engagement ring from knee deep water where the shells meet the sand and found a beautiful 14 karet gold seashell bracelet that weighed 1 oz on dry land mixed in with the sea weed that several TH'ers were avoiding. And rings found on dry land where people set up their umbrellas. Treasure is wear you find it. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread