Beach hunting in CT/RI?

Fidgetess

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2006
The family and I (a beach-hunting noob) were thinking of making a trip to Connecticut and Rhode Island in the next few weeks and was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any sort of restrictions on public beaches, or any websites I can look at that would tell me?

I have a White's Prizm II detector. I'm not expecting great things from it on the beach (although it's done pretty good pulling up the wheaties from the front yard), but does anyone know if it reacts differently to the sand than dirt? Also, any tips and such that could be helpful? I know not to put it in the water itself! Thanks!

Upvote 0

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Hey there. Hamonassett Beach has a restriction to hunting up in the dune areas. Other than that I don't beleive there are any others.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Prizem will work fine in the dry sand just like real dirt. In the wet sand you may find it unstable and if there is black sand there too, forget it. It will sound like a strangled duck. ;D

You can get the coil wet too. Just be sure not to raise the coil higher than the control box or water in the shaft will flood the guts. You would do well to have a scoop with a long handle to save bending over. If you have kids to help, your lucky.

Make sure you can hear a pull tab! This is where 90% of the gold rings come in at. The smaller white gold with the big rocks usually come in near foil, so run as little discrimination as you can stand. Good Luck and have fun. Visit this site www.thegoldenolde.com/

HH,
Sandman

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi Fidgetess,

I live in RI and detect the RI beaches often. Detecting is allowed at RI State beaches all day long until they open Memorial day weekend. From Memorial Day to Labor Day detecting is not allowed from 8:30 am til 6:00 pm while people are on the beach. This time of year you don't find as much as you do in the summer since the beach really hasn't been used since September. However, you can still find things especially in the wet sand. The tides change that section of the beach daily. I would recommend going a few hours before low tide and hunting the wet sand area down to the water following the tide out. There are many sites on the web that list the tide info so you can plan ahead. Also, it's still nice being out there anytime of year and you learn things everytime you go. If you have any other questions, let me know. Also, if you do plan on coming to RI to detect, let me know.

Glenn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread