wet suits

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Every wet suit I ever used had the zipper in the front!!! What you are probably seeing on ebay, are 'Dry Suits' made from the same material as a wet suit (the material itself 'neoprene' does not leak).. The vast majority of those have the zipper across the back of the shoulders, and the zipper is nothing like a wetsuit zipper. It's designed to be water proof.. (for a while anyway) ;D

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
GunFarce said:
Every wet suit I ever used had the zipper in the front!!! What you are probably seeing on ebay, are 'Dry Suits' made from the same material as a wet suit (the material itself 'neoprene' does not leak).. The vast majority of those have the zipper across the back of the shoulders, and the zipper is nothing like a wetsuit zipper. It's designed to be water proof.. (for a while anyway) ;D

Surfing for over 40yrs I've owned numerous wetsuits over the years, shorties, spring suits, vests, full suits, etc. and have never had one that had a zipper in the front. They were all in the back except for a vest that I had, which was in the front.

HH 8) surfrat

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
dry suit will keep you much warmer, and as the name implies, dry......just a thought...g

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I use a wet suit all the time, for detecting I would recommend a sleevelesss long john set up.Mine has velcro fittings on the shoulder straps.I also have a jacket to go over the top with a zipper down the front. I recommend boots and gloves as well. the other consideration is the thickness. I used to use a 3mm suit but in winter this was too cold so I use a 5mm thick one now,I have been wearing it on days around 40deg and it has kept me warm.The other thing is if you wear boots watch out for the zipper, these are generally metal and will be picked up with your detector if you are not careful. good hunting seeya Neilo ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If you're going to be in the water, just pee in the suit. Helps keep you warm!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These wet suits you see with the zipper down the back are of the thin body glove style for surfers, skiiers. A diver wet suit always has the zipper down the front so the pulls strap from the rear zipper isn't floating to get tangled up with anything. But for wading, where which ever style fits well and you can enter and exit easiely. Yes, everyone pees it it, except one of my dumb brother in laws. He as to go ashore to a head to leak. But what do you expect from a guy dumb enough to marry one of my sisters. Neilo's advice is good as for thicknesses for different seasons.

hh,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a thought, you can put the suit on backwards, I wore a shortie that way just to see how it would fit and felt, it worked fine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pee in the suit.

Reminds me of Ron White's bit about when he was on a float trip down a river, and everybody was just peeing and talking. Very laid back, but people were getting mad at him. He was peeing, but he was standing up in a canoe!

Thin for cool weather, and 5-6mm for cold winter. You can get them with non-metallic zips, but they are more expensive.

best,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread