Weve got a Sovereign GT now looking for another machine and thinking the AT Pro -

khune

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've got a Sovereign GT now looking for another machine and thinking the AT Pro -

We already have a Sovereign GT and a significant lesser model which the kids are over after using the GT.

I was looking at getting a second machine and was thinking either an AT Pro or a Tesoro Sand Shark (I know there's a forum for this brand too :laughing7: and it's a dig everything PI machine but I hear the depth on the machine is great)

We live 20 minutes from the beaches of San Diego and will do 75% of the hunting there, the other 25% will be parks, old buildings, maybe a road trip or two to look for some gold....

I hear the AT Pro is an awesome machine, but for the beach it may have some limits.

Would love any feedback on the subject...

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you have the Minelab for the beach, if you want another capable machine for the salt water, I would personally suggest the tesoro or the Whites Dual Field. Both PI, Both dig it all, and both deep. Now if you want discrimination than it's a different story, I haven't tested the AT-Pro in salt water but one thing is for sure, it's a VLF and it's transmit frequency is too high to be stable in the water. The only VLF that I have had that was quite stable in the salt water was the Detector Pro Wader. That is because it had a very low frequency compared to any VLF, this made it more stable in high mineralized situations.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The ATPro can hunt the beaches. I've heard of complaints of false readings. Then they were fixed by decreasing sensitivity. (I believe). Check out video on Garrett site about hunting beaches with ATPro. It does handle it well I've heard from others.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think salt concentrations and black sand are the same for all beaches? AT Pro works well on some and not others. The Sov GT is the king of the saltwater beaches. Just place a baggie over the controls.

OP
OP
khune

khune

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro on order... the things are back ordered from the site I ordered it from (I had $100 in in-store credit there so I guess I can wait a few days)..

Thanks for everyone's input..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread