Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing that it would be raining all week here I looked up where it wouldn't be raining until 2:00 pm so I took the hour drive to a 1 of the playgrounds just to get some swing time in. On the way I did some quick research on the town and they had a 1940's playground and a 2006 modern playground that was donated to the city by the richest family in the town. So I went with the old money. I thinking was old my net old land that was just donated recently. I had a conversation with a guy who lived across the street and ask him about the land. He said, "It's fairly new and I think it once had a pecan orchard here before." Well I haven't see a pecan orchard in a while and that gave me the excuse to leave my Storm coil on really out of laziness. Well it paid off, I got a lot of trash, one clad Quarter, 2 Lincolns and 2 Mardi Gras doubloons, which we are plagued with here in Louisiana. Well I got another 94-96 single on the ATP, which is another doubloon, but this one was loud, clear and a DEEP 8 inches! So I went at it and there she was a 1900-O Barber Half Dollar staring up a me!! One on my best finds. You will see that there is some graffiti on the neck and a gouge near the rim. I see a lot of detail but there are some scratches. My question is with all the graffiti should I clean it up so I can see more detail or leave it alone?

I had to leave due to the rain finally catching up to me,but I can't wait to do more research and get back. A day I'll never forget.

IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 61

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on selling the coin, then don't clean it. If you are going to keep it, clean it IF you want to. That would be a keeper, in my book, and I like my silver coins shiny.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like her just as she is.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In agreement with Mzjavert, I wouldn't clean her too much. That's a great find.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own opinion, but I personally do not clean any of my silver coins. All I do is water them off to get rid of the dirt. I like to remember the coins the way they came out of the ground, and some of them get a nice steel gray patina that I also like. Do as you wish, but if it were mine it would be going into my coin book looking the way it does now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking silver, lots of details left on that one. Congrats

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Barber Truth, I bet that put a smile on your face and got your blood flowing.:headbang:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Barber Truth, I bet that put a smile on your face and got your blood flowing.:headbang:

Loco I freaked out I'm still amazing. I was 90% sure it was just a modern park with a 10% hope that the wealthiest family, that I quickly read about will driving there, donated it came from old money which down South means old land. I'm glad I went, but gambled because that was the newest of the two parks. I'm also glad I was lazy and left my big coil on. Lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco I freaked out I'm still amazing. I was 90% sure it was just a modern park with a 10% hope that the wealthiest family, that I quickly read about will driving there, donated it came from old money which down South means old land. I'm glad I went, but gambled because that was the newest of the two parks. I'm also glad I was lazy and left my big coil on. Lol

I can tell you're still stoked, enjoy that feeling, It's the high that keeps me digging. The next plug might be "THE PLUG" that feeds the dragon and gets me doing a happy dance.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo hoooo !! Nice one. Congrats.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bud! Glad you beat the rain.
Good luck during the storm, and be safe.

HH, RN

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the sweet big silver- love those Barber halves!

-- Jeff --

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet half Truth! Clean her up if that's the way you like them. It's your treasure! Congrats!

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do to my non key date silvers is wet them and gently rub baking soda on them with my finger tip, do this a couple times and the coin will be like new!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large silver find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread