Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing that it would be raining all week here I looked up where it wouldn't be raining until 2:00 pm so I took the hour drive to a 1 of the playgrounds just to get some swing time in. On the way I did some quick research on the town and they had a 1940's playground and a 2006 modern playground that was donated to the city by the richest family in the town. So I went with the old money. I thinking was old my net old land that was just donated recently. I had a conversation with a guy who lived across the street and ask him about the land. He said, "It's fairly new and I think it once had a pecan orchard here before." Well I haven't see a pecan orchard in a while and that gave me the excuse to leave my Storm coil on really out of laziness. Well it paid off, I got a lot of trash, one clad Quarter, 2 Lincolns and 2 Mardi Gras doubloons, which we are plagued with here in Louisiana. Well I got another 94-96 single on the ATP, which is another doubloon, but this one was loud, clear and a DEEP 8 inches! So I went at it and there she was a 1900-O Barber Half Dollar staring up a me!! One on my best finds. You will see that there is some graffiti on the neck and a gouge near the rim. I see a lot of detail but there are some scratches. My question is with all the graffiti should I clean it up so I can see more detail or leave it alone?

I had to leave due to the rain finally catching up to me,but I can't wait to do more research and get back. A day I'll never forget.

IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 61

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys I said the heck with it. Not a key day and the graffiti made me do it. I love it. Thanks for the love from everyone. Detectorist are some good people I tell ya. View attachment 1488382 View attachment 1488384

Turned out great if you ask me. There's still some darker areas that allow the details to be highlighted. Nice job. What method did you end up using?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turned out great if you ask me. There's still some darker areas that allow the details to be highlighted. Nice job. What method did you end up using?

Dawn liquid soap, a little baking soda and water.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's what a silver coin is supposed to look like! [emoji106]

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet your hands were shaking!

Congrats on scoring a BIG old silver coin. I wouldn't clean it much... it's old and should look old IMO.

Best of luck to you topping this coin.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet your hands were shaking!

Congrats on scoring a BIG old silver coin. I wouldn't clean it much... it's old and should look old IMO.

Best of luck to you topping this coin.

Tom I was in shock. My hands started shaking and then I couldn't stop laughing and making weird noises. I shock was I was I a modern Park. You just never know what that modern park was put on.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still on my "Yet to be Found" list - Wow, Congratulations! :notworthy:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats ont the old silver. City parks can give you nice surprises, some are old and are hidding old silver coins and some jewelry also.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still on my "Yet to be Found" list - Wow, Congratulations! :notworthy:

Thanks Terry coming from you I take that a real compliment. I was only there for about an hour and a half and then it started raining and now with this hurricane rain band I won't be able to get out there for another week. I'm biting at the bit thinking this park might be virgin ground. I only detected a 10ft x 10ft area and it's about a 3 acre park. When I get home I'm gonna do some historical aerial map research and see what was there before. I spoke with a older gentleman that lived across the street and he said he heard it used to be a pecan tree orchard. I'm excited like a little kid I tell ya.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
glad to see you find a big silver like that, stoke city for sure! now send one my way LOL! :headbang::hello2::occasion14:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Such a big thrill to dig big old silver! Congrats!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice big silver! Congrats on an awesome coin, love Barber halves. I think it looks good cleaned, let's face it, not many of us are going to be slabbing non-key coins, but instead showing friends and family our finds. Making it pretty is sometimes more important that keeping it in its found state.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice big silver! Congrats on an awesome coin, love Barber halves. I think it looks good cleaned, let's face it, not many of us are going to be slabbing non-key coins, but instead showing friends and family our finds. Making it pretty is sometimes more important that keeping it in its found state.

I total agree my wife always smiles more when I dropped it in her hands shinny. It makes it all worth it.

P.S. Unless it's a key date lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread