What a great day

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A colleague of mine contacted me last week, saying he had recently heard I was a detectorist. He wanted to know if I could help him find his gold wedding band that he lost whilst gardening at his home. We set it up for a preliminary search this morning.

I arrived at 8 a.m. with the sky threatening typical May storms. It rained hard last night, but for the moment it was partly cloudy and the radar looked clear. I figured I could probably get at least a couple of hours hunting without getting soaked. I asked Sean to tell me more about his ring and where he lost it. We went around back to a small garden where he had onions, radishes and other vegetables growing. He said that he'd lost the ring in November 2013 and gave me some pointers where to look. The garden had been tilled to an estimated 10" depth, so I decided to start with the stock coil for depth over the 5 x8. I went back to my car and put on my coveralls, kneepads and gloves, then unloaded the AT Pro, which already had the 8.5 x 11 DD attached. After ground balancing, I set out where Sean thought the ring was lost, and quickly realized that this garden wasn't going to be an easy patch to hunt. My first two holes yielded balls of foil that sounded a lot like gold!

After thoroughly covering the two areas that Sean had outlined for me, I was still empty-handed. Now the sun had broken through the clouds and it was warming up. I decided to widen my search area, thinking that a year and a half of gardening could have easily moved the ring from where Sean thought it was. A few minutes later I got a pretty nice mid tone in the middle of one of the walkways between the vegetable patches. I checked the VDI display and saw a 48 that jumped slightly to 46 and up to 49, then back. I turned my coil 90 degrees and swung again. 49, 50, 49, 48, 51, 49.

I swept aside the mulch chips and used my digger to cut a flap in the landscape fabric of the path. Lifted out a nice neat plug, and as I was automatically reaching for my holstered Propointer, I saw it:

seans_ring01.jpg

YES!

Sean was pretty happy too:

seans_ring02.jpg

Helping reunite Sean with his lost wedding ring made my day. This is what detecting is all about!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job! Returns put a smile on everybody's face. You just don't know the feeling until you have experienced it in person.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Hope I can do something like that someday. Must be a great feeling

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Way to go! You found a ring, it was gold AND you returned it to the owner. Win win for everyone. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread