What a WASTE of a silver dime!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Went through 2-dime boxes yesterday. Almost two skunks, but near the end of box one was a badly worn 1925 Merc, and while as I was nearly finishing box two, shows a very bright white rim. I'm thinking a good looking 1964? No! Too my surprise was a silver 2009-S proof dime. I know for a fact that the mint does not run silver dimes separate like they do State Quarters, ie the 5-silver state quarter sets(1999-2009). So, someone in the life of this silver proof has opened-up a complete silver proof set, took out what they wanted and disposed of the silver dime. Or they completely opened the set and spent the coins as change.
•••••What a waste of a good proof coin/set.••••••
The proof dime shows some grime etc., but it's still silver to stack. This is the second silver proof dime I've found in the wild over the past two years. The other was a1985-s, I think.
Anyone else find broken silver proof set singles?, other than the half-dollars that we hear so much about.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first silver proof dime, a 92, after what I'd say is hundreds of thousands of dimes searched. Can't figure it out, besides a theft by someone hard up for drugs or a child. It takes too much effort, I'd think, to break it open casually to spend.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beautiful 1964 rosie proof once, and one newer silver proof can't remember the date. Other than that I find a lot of clad proofs of all denominations

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done ok with dimes but never found a modern silver proof.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think your 1985 dime is silver. From what I remember they didn't make silver proof sets nor silver mint sets for that year.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to break it to you but the San Fransisco mint released non silver proofs in 2009 as well. May not be silver. Check the edge.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to break it to you but the San Fransisco mint released non silver proofs in 2009 as well. May not be silver. Check the edge.

Please reference

and while as I was nearly finishing box two, shows a very bright white rim. I'm thinking a good looking 1964? No! Too my surprise was a silver 2009-S proof dime.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I think I can tell the difference between a clad vs silver. This one IS Silver. The other one I got last year was a 1995-S silver proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread