what about silver dollars?

soldierman

May 18, 2006
To my understanding some banks can in fact order a box of large dollars. They would likely want you to buy the whole box though and they are boxed in a $1000. I have heard of one or two finds here where someone got a peace or morgan in a roll. And I also remember someone "said" they got a silver eagle 1 oz round. But I have my doubts on that as silver eagles are just a bit larger than the big dollars.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I know some have tried and it seems like they are a special order item. I have never seen a post here where anyone has been successful in getting a box of them from the bank. My banks have tried and I haven't seen any yet....

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
Yes, you can order them in bags of $1,000. I tried it a few months ago and didn't find anything worth keeping. I'm tempted to try it again now that I have a couple of good dump banks. (The first batch was tough to get rid of). It seems the silver dollars are pretty hard to find. Most tellers grab them up as soon as they get them. Boxes of halves have been slim picken's lately so maybe it's time for dollars!

HH Mark

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's possible, but very very difficult. The key is to make sure they know exactly what you want.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soldierman said:
And I also remember someone "said" they got a silver eagle 1 oz round. But I have my doubts on that as silver eagles are just a bit larger than the big dollars.

It may have been me you were refering too. It was a silver round, the teller had a baggy of about 30-40 "big dollars" Paid a dollar for it. ;D

I also got a Morgan dollar.

I always ask for BIG DOLLARS.

soldierman

May 18, 2006
Cyberdan I would bet that it was you. I didn't remember they were loose or didn't read the full details of it. I was thinking the coins were rolled. Knowing most rounds/silver eagles are a bit larger I wasn't sure how they would make it through the wrapping machine.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soldierman said:
Knowing most rounds/silver eagles are a bit larger I wasn't sure how they would make it through the wrapping machine.
The bright white silver is the first thing I noticed as I peeked through the baggy. I was thinking peace dollar but when I tried to move it around it felt fat & big. When I got to my car I immediatly went through that bag. 100% silvers are better than 90% any day. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread