cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! The stock coil is very good for all around hunting. If you need more depth or are hunting wide open spaces with little trash, get a 15" WOT from Coiltek. If you need to hunt tight and/or trashy areas a 5X10 or X5 work great.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last explorer I pick up has the old 8 inch minelab which is really 7 and a quarter inches and is a fantastic coil. These detectors are one of the best bargains in the hobby.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I'd go for the WOT, a good all-round coil (yes, even though it's big), smaller coils will be used less, they're for more specific situations.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do beach detecting or detect large fields then one of the larger coils would be good fit for you. If your mostly a park hunter or most of the spots you detect are loaded with trash go for a smaller coil. It all depends on what type you detect more.

In my opinion if you detect lots of dirt and rarely hit beaches I'd go with an 8 or 6 inch coil. If beaches are your thing the 15" WOT coil is a killer coverage coil but it's heavy. The Sunray 12.5" coil weighs about the same as your stock explorer coil, is more sensitive with good coverage too.

Good luck on what ever you chose!

OP
OP
R

rvales

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies. The information you all provided was very helpful. I will stick to the stock 1000 until I find a sale on a Coiltek or Sunray coil.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello rvales,

You received some good advice from other members. I tried the Minelab Pro coil (used on Explorer SE Pro and Etrac) works very well. Currently, on the Explorer II, I have the Sun Ray 5" coil...what a great little coil for trashy or iron filled places. I do own the Sun Ray 5" and 8" coils and are very impressed with their depth, stability and pin-pointing. My next purchase may be the Sun Ray 12", but do know if I gain anything over the Minelab Pro coil.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread