USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all i need serius help.

i went out today to an old park to use my New ACE250 ,, unfortnely there was a big family gartering at the park so i could not detect there.. i went to an old school that have been closed for 15 years i went over to the playground and set the mode to jewelry and sensitivity 3-4 .. and after about 3 minutes i got my first signal about 6 inch down i was happy finaly i could dig up something, i grap the digger and start digging.. 6 inches down still nothing,, ok i think i will expand my hold and maybe i was off a bit ,, after the hole is 15 x 15 inch and 8 inch deep i give up .. nothing there,, i go on and after 4 minutes i get a nickel signal 4 inches down ,, again i dig and again NOTHING. after about 7 empty holes i startet to get frustratet.

NOW I ASK YOU FRIENDS WHAT DID I DO WRONG ????

3 hours nothing .. on my way home i do what i allways do eyeball the road and i find 2 pennies.

HELP HELP HELP

USTiger

Upvote 0
O

Ole Mole

H

HepCat

Hey something else i just read on the Kellyco site; they say a coil cover helps eliminate alot of the wet grass type false signals with the ACE.Maybe some of the old pros on here can comment, i'm a newbie and only had mine a few weeks and don't have a coil cover yet.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
bomber said:
i used 2 get false signals when diggin my plugs,couldn't find s*@!, ???figured out i was getting signals from my wedding ring(i'm such a dork)

Did divorce solve the false signal problem Bomber? just kidding. When I first started detecting 5 months ago a buddy told me not to dig any signal that wasnt strong & loud, & only dig signals that beep in both directions. I have evolved & dont necesarily go by this advice anymore but it was great advice for me when I was green. It realy helped my learning curve while I learned my machine. Also Tiger, get a pinpointer!!! Makes it so much easier & faster to find your clad! Dont get discouraged, the clad will soon be rolling in! ;D

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
divorce,no,but she wasn't happy when i told her i'd b ring free r the summer(hate wearing any jewelry)i'm going 2 try an experiment,4 the next 2 weeks where i dig every damn signal i get.i think i'm to selective when i dig i only dig 20-25 and 70 and up 4 silver,i think i'm missing out on a lot(besides gotta catch up to bob)

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
Was it a wood chip playground? I picked up one of the Discovery 3300 at RS and for some reason it goes nuts when theres mold in the chips! Even turning down the sensitivity to 1 wont help. Only happens around mold. I cant figure that one out!
Zootman

H

HepCat

"Also Tiger, get a pinpointer!!!"

AP,The ACE250 has a pinpointer built in and i find it to work very well!! 8)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Hepcat..........I own an Ace250 & realize that it comes equiped with "pinpoint" mode. I meant a hand pinpointer, bullseye2, vibra-probe etc. I think that will help Tiger locate more coins & be more efficient. I know Id be lost without mine & dont see how some of you guys get along without one. :)

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zootman said:
Was it a wood chip playground? I picked up one of the Discovery 3300 at RS and for some reason it goes nuts when theres mold in the chips! Even turning down the sensitivity to 1 wont help. Only happens around mold. I cant figure that one out!
Zootman

you are experiencing the rare, northeastern mold "Penicillium Notatum Ngrounda Metallica",
also when refined.......great for the flu!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
USTiger,

I have only been detecting since 3rd of July. Was going nuts here because of loads of coal cinder just about everywhere. It was coating glass and I thought detector was detecting glass. Had me going in circles and almost sent detector back for re-calibration. Also have dug up a few false signals so far as well. Slowly am having more luck with detector.

Hope you begin to have more luck as well. Turning down sensitivity helped me out some. But still get some false signals, or perhaps dust of coal or ore from this area.

Postalrevnant

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot rocks can throw almost any detector, though like JerDFX I've also noticed the White's machines handle them pretty well.

I was out tonight and dug up a couple of hot rocks myself. Looks like a false signal until you start waving rocks in front of your coil and find that one of them was the culprit...

HH,
Chris

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Tiger, in other words after so many replies to your question, I think its fairly obvious that YOU are the very first detectorist with these problems ;)

Just kidding, of course.... Relax, the learning curve will be short, and long at the same time. You'll be pinpointing and finding coins in no time....... but yet learn something new almost every time you go out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread