Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help!
I went out with my AT Pro today hoping for a pocket full of coins.
Instead I got 4 bottle caps, 1 aluminum can , 2 rusty nails and zero coins.

Every one of the above targets registered as a coin signal (mid to high 80's) both in the standard and Pro modes.

Am I doing something wrong?

I figured I'd ask the pros.

Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
No...if you detected those targets, it will also pick up desireable targets. Try a different area too.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up, it happens. When I first started it took me DAYS of detecting to find 1.00 in clad. (Non silver coins)
The FIRST thing is to figure out where the coins ARE. You'll figure it out. Just think about where you are detecting and how long it has been since it has been landscaped. That is one of the first things to learn.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, sometimes locations are simply bad. it helps to try to guess the size of an object on the cans - this can help sometimes. pinpointing those objects can give you clues as to size. but then again, it could also be something strange and good! the rusty nails hitting the 80s - im assuming they are larger nails or together in a pile? In iron heavy areas you can get fooled. honestly, if if hit really iron rich areas that i know are sites, i try to remove a lot if not all of it. usually, they hide the good stuff.

but, some locations and days are like this. i was recently at a spot i thought was going to be prime. dirt had been moved all over and signals were bizarre. very frustrating. don't worry - if you are doing the work...the goods will appear. i guarantee it!

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Just keep digging mister, it's out there you will find it eventually!! HH
Broken Knee

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help!

Every one of the above targets registered as a coin signal (mid to high 80's) both in the standard and Pro modes.

First mistake, by the sound of it, is that you look at the VDU & numbers. Tape over it & learn the sounds. Plus treasure hunting is really trash digging.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help!

I got my first detector last month, and have been going out with Chug when he hunted, so I'm learning too, since my detector is different from his. One thing he has me doing is this, take different kinds of coins, jewelry, basically anything with metal. Lay it on the ground, cover with cardboard or something, and practice swinging your detector, and listen for the different sounds and tones, that way you get used to your machine, and you learn what it can do. Next, find places where people hang out, parks, beach, schools, and so on. Try tot lots too as the young'uns do have money for lunch, jewelry and so on, when they play, especially upside down, things fall out of pockets! A good pro pointer helps too, Chug has a Garrett, and I'm getting mine too, soon! Relax and have fun, and don't give up, my first time out I found pull tabs, caps, nails and 1 little penny, 1965, yea!!!!! I'm framing it!!!:happysmiley: Keep us posted on what you find, and good luck! HH Red

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll find stuff just keep it up. I have had my AT pro for about 2 months. I love it! Every time I go out the finds are getting better. Just do a bit a research, keep hitting the parks and you'll get the hang of it. Read the old posts on here to, these guys are a library of good info. It really has helped me out. Good Luck

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with it. It takes 20-30 hours to understand what that detector is telling you. Your finds will improve with time.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find someone that can be your mentor and can show you the ropes. Another experienced hunter who has been doing this for years can really help. When I first started this madness back in 1985 I was just as new to the hobby.
I went out with some experienced guys who started metal detecting back in the early 1960's, they showed me how to "read the area you are hunting". Look at the architecture around you, is it old? Was it built before 1960? Are Victorian houses around? 1920's - 1930's architecture has its unique design, learn the different styles. Does the lawn you are hunting in have the plastic water sprinkler system or the older brass ones? Older metal brass sprinkler systems tell you the are should
be older. Study maps, google earth, goggle maps, old library listings of swimming holes, picnic areas, and anything that will help with research. Just keep going and practicing and learning the sounds, great finds are just around the corner!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say that location is the biggest key. I keep any kind of discrimination low or virtually zero. Listen to the sounds, or if your tone deaf(and have a detector that got wet and only has two tones) like me, dig every thing that's not iron. Sure I dig some pieces of iron that give a decent signal, but I dig some nice relics that sound exactly the same, and some that give a choppy signal. I look at the VDI only as a guessing game.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck. HH, Hamid.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Help!

First of all, stick to PRO mode or you are wasting the machine's potential. In PRO mode, you will be able to hear the difference between a coin and a bottle cap or screw cap. The trash target produces a "roll tone" at the end of the tone to indicate a possible junk target.

Coins sound off loud, strong, and clear on the AT Pro. I have never dug a coin that had an iffy tone. 95 out of 100 coins dug with the AT Pro - I knew what I had based on the signal and even the ID.

Cans can be tricky and you are definitely going to dig them. Try to use pinpoint to determine the size of the object. Coins produce a small "profile" while a can will be very strong (almost overwhelmingly) over a much larger area.

I cant help you with rusty nails, as I almost never dig them and they arent a problem for me. Are you using Iron Discrimination? I run mine between 35-38 depending on site conditions and that takes care of 90% of the iron most of the time.

I don't understand why people are suggesting to run with no discrimination after you stated that you are only digging junk?
You can try to just go coinshooting to boost your confidence. Set it to PRO COINS and then notch out everything below the 70s. You will definitely miss some targets but if you dig every signal over 70 that gives are clear and repeatable high tone, you will dig the good stuff.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one reason I won't use the AT PRO, I don't rely on meters and don't trust them an it seems the Pro is the worst. Red gave excellent advice about checking the sounds various targets make. It helps to use the Pro mode too for better sounds with more information.

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll dig trash to get to the goodies! Learn the sounds good targets make. I'm just learning the Atp also. Good luck and keep swinging and digging!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
NH has ground minerals, so I would suggest using manual ground balance. You can experiment planting a coin to see if it works best balanced precisely or if balanced slightly positive or negative has some advantage.

I use STD mode, coins program, sens 7, iron disc 40. Some would say I've lost all potential, but I don't want to dig thousands of trash items trying to get gold jewelry that was never lost or has already been found. It still goes deep, separates good, great ID at depth, deep coins loud, stable, & almost no trash heard or dug. Best wishes, George (MN)

dirtdigger

Jan 29, 2012
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had the AT Pro for about three months and sometimes get a high reading on bent iron. Were the nails bent or in a grouping. The rest of the items you describe read high as well. Just because it show "coins" on your screen doesn't mean that's what your diggin. I agree with Crusader, listen to the sounds and keep on digging. My son found a US plate with his AT Pro just last week. Just keep on hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions