What am I missing with the disc. at max on my vaquero

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickels brass bullets zinc pennies gold rings plus more and full disc cuts your depth as well, the old saying is (if you ain't diggin pull tabs then you aren't gonna get the gold) and that is the truth with most detectors :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vaquero44 said:
nickels brass bullets zinc pennies gold rings plus more and full disc cuts your depth as well, the old saying is (if you ain't diggin pull tabs then you aren't gonna get the gold) and that is the truth with most detectors :thumbsup:

Truth HH Chug I dont disc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother using a MD at all? Granted if you are only after coins, with disc turned up that far you may as well be picking up surface coins. Detecting should be fun no matter what you find. Gold rings sound off right in the range pull tabs do so if your not digging tabs, you'll never get a gold ring unless you see it on top of the ground. I think you should look into another hobby as your heart isn't into it.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr.sandman. the vaquero doesn't loose depth nearly to the extent that you are talking about. I have found older small cents at 8" with the disc on max, I should note that the signal was a mere crackle and it didn't change with the disc on iron. The only reason I dug it was that I knew it was small and deep in the AM mode while still registering at max disc. The older tesoros suffered alot when it came to higher disc settings but not so much on the newer machines.
I can completely understand using high disc when I have only a few mins to go out and detect. If I have only a half hour to hit up a park, why spend it digging trash when I could simply put the disc up a little higher and come home with a few more goodies. I think that is something 95% of the members on here are guilty of.
Cladder, you can expect to find any copper, silver, loonies, most clad, and any larger objects.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
Cladder said:
I usally only get to do short digs between work and family so I keep my disc. at one notch above max. It keeps me from digging trash, but I was wanting to know if I was missing anything. I only hunt coins no relics

My guess is you will be missing targets with the disc. set that high. If time is very limited for you and you want to only find shallow coins keep doing what you are doing. I would probably try setting the disc around the 5 cent mark or so. Lots of unknowns here like how trashy are the areas where you go, how hard is the digging etc.

I usually try to keep the disc as low as possible wherever I detect.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cladder said:
I usally only get to do short digs between work and family so I keep my disc. at one notch above max. It keeps me from digging trash, but I was wanting to know if I was missing anything. I only hunt coins no relics

I used to do the same thing Cladder. You can set your detector for hot operation with sense and threshold high as described in the manual and achieve good results on depth with occasional falsing.
As you get the time and experience I suggest you lower the disc. The depth will increase, you will dig trash, but the really neat finds will increase also. Everybody has their niche of hunting. From full disc to all-metal. Enjoy the hobby your way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions