What am I supposed to do with this...?

PapaSmurfin

Jun 11, 2016
West Fargo, ND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to diving. I have a few friends who are experienced and give me great pointers and everything, but none of them could have prepared me for what I found this morning...

I was nearing the end of a decent morning with a never - been - used Swiss Gear backpack, antique wrought iron table, case of Ramen noodle cups, and a few random father's day gifts. On the final stretch of our journey I almost stepped right on top of a giant canvas.

As I pulled it out of the very large dumpster I realized there was more than a few, and that on this canvas was beautiful painted portraits, obviously very high quality. After finding all of them and sorting through, I estimate there is about 20 or so portraits.

After a Google search on the name in all the pictures, I found out we had a professional artist in my city that is commissioned by museums and universities. I'm still scraping my jaw off the floor when I saw what his work sells for at auctions!

The first one I checked was an astonishing $12,400!! On average they ranged from two to five thousand each, some being portraits of celebrities, presidents, and some unknown.

But from here I'm lost, I don't know where to go from here, how do I go about selling these?? Not like I can really bring them to a pawn shop.. any suggestions??

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing would be to have them professionally appraised.

Then you will know where to go.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also go to an appraiser. Any idea who might have dumped them? Make sure they weren't stolen and dumped.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them or send them to an Auction House near you. Here in Boston it is Skinners Auctions located at the 4 Seasons Hotel. They will Appraise anything and propose the sale Terms ok. Great Finds. Good Luck. Can you Post some pictures of them here for us to enjoy ?? PEACE:RONB

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because these are quite valuable, I would check with the police, let them know how they were found to make sure they weren't stolen. Wouldn't want to get caught trying to sell stolen property.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live my life by my name, Honest, these items were either stolen or throw away by mistake. I also agree with # 5. Contact a lawyer on what to do next.

OP
OP
P

PapaSmurfin

Jun 11, 2016
West Fargo, ND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they are stolen as the address listed for him is the same address as the dumpster I found them in, but I was thinking maybe thrown by mistake. I think his email address was listed, so I am gonna try contacting him to find out before anything else

OP
OP
P

PapaSmurfin

Jun 11, 2016
West Fargo, ND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just heard back from the artist, he said they were meant to be thrown away as they were studies or he just didn't like them! I'll post pictures as soon as I get around to finding my camera tonight.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In some areas, it is illegal to rummage through a dumpster - although for the life of me I don't know why, other than from a liability standpoint.

Make certain you have permission from the artist to do with the paintings as you wish. If you can sell them, it would be a kind gesture to offer the artist some amount, or offer to donate some to a charity/organization of the artist's choice - maybe even a scholarship, if they're worth enough.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celebrities, Presidents, and some UNKNOWNS.
I guess you have a picture of me. Let me know how much you get for it. lol

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thought as to making certain the artist has no objections to you doing with them what you want. As his(?) have will remain on the art indefinitely, he may not wish for his rejects to be in circulation. ....On the other hand, he DID throw them away. So is the glass half empty or the wallet nearly full? :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure the email shows all the routing info, as that would be absolute proof! Otherwise, it could be argued that the email message could be faked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread