What are some non-tech and low-tech ways to hunt for buried treasure?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi,
If I wish to hunt for buried treasure, and I don't want to use any technology devices (such as electronic metal detectors for example) are gold panning and dowsing my only other two options?
Thank you

1) "Gold panning" is not for "buried treasure". If ... by that ... you meant "caches". Gold panning is for prospecting nuggets and gold dust (like from streams in gold bearing regions).

2) dowsing is hocus pocus nonsense. But I'm sure you can find adherents on the T'net forum sections dedicated to those that believe in the coat-hanger magic wands.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy Tom, you are showing your lack of understanding of the Universal MIND.:dontknow:
Marvin
PS, original poster, you could take a long probing rod and stab the ground.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Tom said.

A shovel would be the best bet to find buried treasure without technology.

If it was that easy there wouldn't be none left to find.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same way archaeologists do it.

Study map to find old settlement, slowly and carefully dig and sift for findings.

Gold pans are for finding heavy stuff. Not all "treasure" is "heavy".

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be fun!

How about door knocking? Just go by the nearest Castle, Knock on the door and ask for directions to the nearest buried treasure.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hire Psychics?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find creeks with exposed bedrock (or old concrete channels) going through old parts of town/old parks and fan-away the lighter sediment in cavities or cracks to expose heavier metal items.

I've found multiple gold and lots of coins doing this (and more when actively digging and sifting), but a surprisingly noteworthy personal haul was in a small hole/depression in the concrete creek channel below an old bridge. I saw it as I was slogging downstream and figured I might as well poke my grubby fingers around in there, and got a 10K gold ring and silver quarter (plus some copper cents) in the minute it took to scoop out the cavity. I had metal detected the old slopes in the immediate vicinity before and found nothing good, as it had been hit for years. Bare-handed treasure hunting is about as low-tech an you can get.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
build a sifter screen,1/4" hardware cloth.20'x36"and twoxtwo frame should be fine,you can set it on a couple plastic milk crates.A shovel and good gloves completes the pkg.Some of my better finds have come this way as you can sift in ultra trashy trash dumps etc.

No moving parts,no batteries and you can sift areas detectorists cant hunt.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A trained dog can sniff out pretty much what ever you can train him to find.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Punchy, if you wish, you can try dowsing and pay no atention to the skeptics and doubters. It is amazing how many people don't even believe in the
Lord Jesus Christ. You can read some of the older posts to find what you need to know about it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... you can try dowsing and pay no atention to the skeptics and doubters. It is amazing how many people don't even believe in the
Lord Jesus Christ. .....

Actually .......... you got it backwards: It's exactly because they DO believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they steer clear of all such hocus pocus.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I seem to recall having read somewhere that some people, in some places, believed that buried treasures emitted a glow that could be seen at night, or on certain nights, or something like that. Has anyone else heard of this?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I seem to recall having read somewhere that some people, in some places, believed that buried treasures emitted a glow that could be seen at night, or on certain nights, or something like that. Has anyone else heard of this?

Yes. This is popular lore in Latin American cultures. They see a "glow" in the hills, and are convinced a treasure is in the ground. And go hiking out the next morning looking for it, blah blah . Just superstition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread