what are the rules about hunting school playgrounds?

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and am wondering if anyone knows if its legal or okay to go on the playgrounds of schools when school is out. I asked permission a few years ago, when my children were in grade school. The principal said "sure, the schools belong to the taxpayers."
Back then I had an OLD garrett that was on its last "beep". Now, I have my Ace 250 and am really anxious to get out there!
Thanks,
dustbuster

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I have heard it is fine. I live north of DFW and hit schools whenever school isn't in session. I find more stuff at schools than at park playgrounds. Nothing amazing, just clad and a few cheap earrings. Any luck in your searching? I am new too and also have an ACE 250. Haven't yet found an old coin. Still looking! I am going to join a club in north Dallas this year.

HH,
baylorhall

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I am still new to this hobby. Recently retired and wanting to do more hunting, but not too sure of where I can hunt. I enjoy coinshooting and on my second outing in Mansfield managed to find a number of coins in one spot. Must be a pocket spill (as I've heard the term on this site.) The other problem I have is finding time to go anywhere. I seem to be busier now than when I worked!!
I think I will join a club soon. This forum is fantastic for finding tips and information.
Thanks for the reply.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.............Cover all of your holes...........May not be wise to use a knife where kids will come to play..........it just looks bad.............I just use a screwdriver........it does not look threatening.............I probe with the screwdriver until I locate the coin and then I place it under the coin and just pop the coin to the surface.............the small hole is really not noticeable and can be covered up very easily.................carry a coin/trash apron..............do not throw your trash back on the ground...........dispose of it properly..........also I usually pick up any trash that is just lying on top of the ground including broken glass................this is doing a public service........... looks good to any school officials you may encounter plus you do not want to dig the same trash twice!!..............HAPPY HUNTING............JOE

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Br-r-rrr. It was cold, by my standards, yesterday,but I went to a couple of parks. "Wow, did I have some fun!!" Didn't find much in coins, but, some were in the ground a while. I'm a little timid about digging holes in the parks, so I find the ones that have that mulch topping. It is just a lot easier. So far, my oldest coin found was 1967 dimes (2). Nearlly 5.00 total change.
Boy, this is fun. Can't wait to be brave enough to ask for permission to hunt private property. I have a friend in Canton area, I hope we can get together and check some of that area.
Hurry-warmer weather!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread