johnsonconnie34

Greenie
Jun 8, 2013
Snow Camp NC
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out in Snow Camp NC, I have been looking for Gold on a private area that belongs to a friend of mine. We found these rocks as we were going through our many buckets of dirt. Some say Gem's and some say lime stone and ect 1743456_10200578195216405_1406223812_n (1).jpg 1619496_10200578180376034_986986236_n.jpg 1689723_10200578183976124_2118117510_n (1).jpg What are they?

OP
OP
johnsonconnie34

johnsonconnie34

Greenie
Jun 8, 2013
Snow Camp NC
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jason, I didn't think there was, but when your working with a second party it always helpes when you have the third person to tell you what they see. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there, I say pan it again and what ever is left with the black sand and gold will then need to be checked for gemstones. :4leafclover:

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnsonconnie34

johnsonconnie34

Greenie
Jun 8, 2013
Snow Camp NC
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am supposed to be living in the gem and gold capitol Snow Camp NC . My friends land is right next to major Hill Road and the old Snow Camp Mine. Quartz every where you step. Down the road is Cane Creek, which I heard is where gold has been found, I am learning and trying to look for gold and gems, but this summer, I am going to Cane Creek. Panning for gold and maybe a few gems if I am lucky.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Johnsonconnie34, welcome to TreasureNet. :) In April 2013, a T-Net member named Dustedyou posted an invitation for members who wanted identification of rocks to post photos of them for him to ID. Of course, it helps to tell as much about them as you can, including their size and where you found them. Click the following T-Net link.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html

Upvote 0

Boomer-1

Jun 27, 2009
Gadsden, Al
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gemstones rarely look like anything that you see in the "Rock & Gem" books. There are sites out there and a few books that I've seen that can tell you if it is worth putting in your pocket or tossing over your shoulder.

In the top pic I think the large dark stone might be slate?, and the green could be limestone. You can brush limestone with a q-tip dipped in vinegar to test.....it bubbles.8-)

The lower left pic looks like maybe Calcite's. And the right one looks like small gravel that I can't tell, but the small dark one looks quartzy.

This book was really helpful on where to go. Found Amethyst, Quartz points, Kyanite, Garnets, and a so-so emerald while in NC. Rock, Gem, and Mineral Collecting Sites in Western North Carolina: Rick Jacquot: 9781566642477: Amazon.com: Books

Gemstone ID
GemologyOnline.com ? View topic - Identifying rough gems

Upvote 0

K. Solomon

Feb 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "what is this" as well. Would love some insight as to what this might be. I have done countless hours of research trying to figure it out but have no luck other than it resembles the Lady of Elche bust in Spain. One of these was found about 6 feet under the dirt in Richfield Utah about 50 years ago. I stumbled across this one recently so I bought it.

Any thoughts?

Medal.JPG

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
K.Solomon, first, welcome to TreasureNet's "What-Is-It" forum, the best place on the internet for getting unknown objects CORRECTLY identified.

Second... you will have a MUCH better chance at getting your Egyptian-motif object identified if you post it in a separate, brand-new discussion thread of it own, instead of tacking it onto the end of this discussion. Most people have already clicked on this discussion, seen it is about rocks which they cannot identify, and they will not look at this discussion again.

Also, we need to see a closeup photo of your object's back, AND we need accurate size-measurement because your photo gives no indication of the object's size.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136849-please-read-before-posting-items-what.html

Update Edit:
After I posted the above reply, I returned to the forum's main page and saw that you've already posted the Egyptian-motif object in its own separate discussion-thread. But there is no photo of its back, nor anything telling us its size... and we ID-helpers need both of those things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread