WHAT ARE YOU DIGGING COINS WITH ?

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was reviewing some of KARL VON MUELLERS writings when i read and i quote ( IT should be pointed out that it is absolutely stupid and amateurish to use a shovel or even a trowel to dig coin. It is not necessary ! The damage done by coinshooters in our public parks has created an increasing amount of resentment among the public toward all treasure hunters. Several manufacturers and dealers have intro duced a " coin digger " that has a 3" or 4" blade , and no words can describe the selling and use of this tool better than "PREPOSTEROUS "! If you cannot recover a coin from the earth without leaving evidence of the fact, then you are hurting not only your fellow coinshooter but yourself, as well . I will say , point-blank, that any manufacturer who makes these ridiculous "coindiggers" and sells them for this purpose , or any dealer who sells them, most certainly does not have the coinshooters interests at heart, but the coinshooters wallets .) KARL used a screw driver , prying the coin to the surface...... any thoughts on this ? Iam feeling pretty PREPOSTEROUS ! WITH ALL THE HOLES I HAVE DUG :skullflag:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Fill your holes, make it look nice and life should be just fine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tell us what you REALLY think

I use a $5 garden trowel- sue me

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know who KARL VON MUELLER is..

I suppose he has a right to his opinion.. my opinion is that you do more damage with a screwdriver..

I'll stick with my digger.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know who KARL VON MUELLER is..

I suppose he has a right to his opinion.. my opinion is that you do more damage with a screwdriver..

I'll stick with my digger.

Wouldn't you just love to unearth a nice silver coin that a screwdriver ran across from top to bottom while being pryed from the earth? I have no issues with my Lesche.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Von Muellers books are wwwaaaayyyy dated. Mid 1970s at the latest, eh ? So coin-hunting in that era was different. Perhaps a man with a shovel in a park wasn't "sticking out". And was just an oddity, not raising much interest. But it's different nowadays. A man with a detector (EVEN WITH NO DIGGING TOOL OF ANY KIND IN HIS HAND) will immediately raise connotations of "holes".

Back in the mid 1970s, we just dug with screwdrivers. Go figure: the machines only went 4" deep or so, on coin-sized targets.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... a large wooden macaroni spoon is appropriate ?

I am a can scoop guy myself... FOR... Bending sucks :P

Which is what MOST other tools of the trade require.

OP
OP
mooncusser

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good point , TOM IN CA . This copy is from 1973 and he shore was bent about people using shovels . And like WAR BABY , I would hate to tear up a silver coin !!!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ever try to use a screwdriver to pry a ring to the top? bends the heck out of them, same for other types of jewelry. I bent plenty of tokens too. I prefer my trowel thank you.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit that at times I just use my silver supermagnet and bring the coins up without any digging

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the target is shallow I use a brass probe and can usually "feel" the target after pinpointing with detector and carrot and can recover easily with a slice in the soil and a little finessing. Deeper targets, well pinpoint with machine and cut a nice plug a few inches away from target, flip, pin point and carefully remove soil to locate target. It really isn't rocket science, protect find from damage and make sure the retraction leaves no evidence.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after replacing the plug it helps the grass to pee on it

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't dig holes in yellow grass..

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I almost always stick to the deep woods, so I use a $5 miniature shovel, it's lightweight and only around 2 feet long. I still always fill my holes even when I am half a mile off the trail though.

It looks like this in case you were wondering, probably 2 minutes on each hole 5 minutes at most. I recommend getting something like this if you do deep woods metal detecting.
226406_ts.jpg

If the writer of that article is reading this I assume he probably had a heart attack by now. Or fainted by the moment he read the word "shovel" in my post.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, I prefer not to pry a beautiful one of a kind coin to the surface with a screwdriver, imagine if someone used that method for a tree coin :laughing7:.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll keep using my Lesche or Diamond Digger. I see a screwdriver being fine on clad but on a nice silver or old coin or ring, no.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on where I am at. I have a lesche for around town and a pick for construction and out in the boonies.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huh ? ? ? Wha ? ?

That's where I always find the best stuff...

Like following the yellow brick road :P

I always pee on my hole after i feel it in! haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread