What can I expect?

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
I have been researching an old "Tavern" that turns out to be more than just that. The original owner apparently had a blacksmith shop attached and sold all manner of trade goods and had lodging for travellers. He opened it about 1825 and was never married. He was killed in 1843, but a new owner continued running it until the Civil War. I cannot find any documentation after that.I think he must have cached his savings from this business and had no apparent aires. What type of coins specifically can I expect if I turn up a cache? Not many minted US coins prior to 1825, nor very many more pre-1843. I would imagine they used a majority of silver. But, US gold coins in this time period are limited. Did they use foreign coins back then here in the US? I think I read that somewhere, that low mintages of US coins was a problem ( which also, I speculate MUST have spurred many "counterfeiters" businesses to prosper)! I know he sold guns and wagons for sure besides just food, lodging & dry goods. So, there are very likely some larger denomination coins, as these were not "small ticket items" back then.Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance! stvn.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Stvn, as for what types of coins you would expect, just look in the red-book for those years, to see what was being circulated.

As for potential of success, it depends on whether someone else has hit the spot already, and how thorough they were. Even if the property owner, or people you talk to, claim it has never been hunted, don't be so sure. They're probably just not aware. I have talked to many a folk who come into our club meeting here in my town, with a "for sure" site. As they rattle on about the history they read about a certain stage stop or swim hole or whatever, I have to chuckle thinking "we hit that years ago and scrubbed the snot out of it already". 8) But, you never know, maybe no one else hit upon the same research. Hopefully not! Good luck.

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Tom_in_CA said:
Stvn, as for what types of coins you would expect, just look in the red-book for those years, to see what was being circulated.

As for potential of success, it depends on whether someone else has hit the spot already, and how thorough they were. Even if the property owner, or people you talk to, claim it has never been hunted, don't be so sure. They're probably just not aware. I have talked to many a folk who come into our club meeting here in my town, with a "for sure" site. As they rattle on about the history they read about a certain stage stop or swim hole or whatever, I have to chuckle thinking "we hit that years ago and scrubbed the snot out of it already". 8) But, you never know, maybe no one else hit upon the same research. Hopefully not! Good luck.
I don't know what red-book is, but someone wrote me privately to a PCGS site. Looks like the lowest end gold coins are worth $2-5,000 apiece! Wow. This one is worth a lot of effort to try locating the old "Tavern" site, so have a starting point to locate a probable cache. stvn.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well just remember that not everyone had a lot of money back then and probably very few lost gold coins.
Hope you do find a cache...i would think that there would be some large cents,maybe some half cents,cap bust silver would be a good possibility also.Old buttons, buckles,maybe a dropped musket ball or 2 and probably a lot of iron scrap...
GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!!

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Hmmmm.....you fellas are all guessing at this point.....stvn. PS: I was hoping for some informative real-life experience answers. (Thanks for your replies, though....)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the owner buried a cache of silver coin then it would or could have been trade dollars or seated liberties (halves or dollars) and maybe even some capped bust halves. As for gold coins there were several different varieties in the time frame you listed both privately minted and government issued. Your right about the quantities available but you got to remember, the population was a mere fraction of what it is now too. The ideal location for the old timers to bury their money was in the privacy of a dirt floor building. When the loot is buried outside, there was usually a landmark, such as an old tree. Also, when the cache was buried outside where there was no door to lock, there was the ever- present fear that it could somehow be discovered, everything was not kept in one location. Most caches were buried no more than an arms length deep, with that being said, depending on the size of the cache a metal detector may or may not be able to locate it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread