Metal detecting...why...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I notice we all hunt different types of areas...some have access to some great old spots and find relics...some silver coins...some (like me) usually just hit clad and the occasional piece of jewelry...my question is....would you rather find something really different or is dollar value the most important??? I wanted my dfx to pay for itself within a year...so I have been out a lot...with the jewelry it easily paid for itself within 6 months...so what is next??? I don't need the money...why besides it is an enjoyable hobby do you still hunt...what do you want to find...something rare...valuable...just wondering...

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I'd like to find "one of everything" that is in this area. I'm hoping to find my 1st silver (all clad so far), and my 1st gold jewlery (found a silver ring last week). I'm rather limited in my area, but wouldn't mind finding an old relic or two of somesorts.

That said.....if I found a mason jar full of silver, it wouldn't hurt my feelins' ;D

Smitty

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
claddin is a lot of fun,, hey $ is $ right ?? and a good shot at jewelry too....but give me a chance at old coins and possibly relics and i'll go there every chance i get.....

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not looking to make it rich but, I would love to find some old coins. I also like history so I guess along those lines, artifacts would be nice. Joe

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
silver coins... give me silver coins!
they are cool, they are old, and they are worth somethin'

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
for everyone...but would you rather find something like an old dog tag...or does the coin have to be a key date... I enjoy the strange finds better like the metal knight I found...or even the modern dog tags ( I have not found any old ones yet). Or is there finds that surprise you more...the good rings are fun...because they have value and can be different... I think what I am trying to say is do you enjoy items more because they have value and we can post on these forums...or do you enjoy finds just as much even if they have no real value..

Gulfcapt25

Aug 23, 2007
New Orleans La - The Big Easy-
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I go to work on my tan, and get outside. I am currently a college student (Criminal Justice), and im always reading or in class. I really like metal detecting beacuse I can just go out for a hour a day to clear my mind and of course work on my tan haha. John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to detect just for the fun of it. I've found many old coins and jewelry too. Now days I can hardly land hunt because of bad knees and love the water hunting for anything. I wonder if I go just for the eye candy now. I don't need to post pics as those that know me believe in my finds if I tell of them. It's fun, and when it stops being fun, I'll do something else.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first let me say in all the years I've hunted, I have never really found anything good..A ring here, and there...A bunch of clad, a few silver coins, and several wheats which mean alot to me...

I would like to find any CW relic, never really hunted for them tho..Not to many battlefields near where I live....I would like to get my chance at some old homesteads...Love finding old coins...I like history, so if it is a fossil, I like it, if it is an old relic, I like it....I just enjoy pulling stuff out of the ground, and knowing it would have never been seen by another person if not for me..

I do CRH'ing also, and pulled a 1918 penny the other day, I also found a 1918 penny in an old yard the same week...The one I dug up meant alot more to me, because anyone could have found the one in the roll of pennys, but only I could have found the one in the yard..There will be a condo there in a few months...So I saved a bit of history, no matter how small...Tom Shaw

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I just like to find neat stuff.... plus the free beer and the thrill of being a total babe magnet when I'm swinging my detector, of course. :D

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I really like to find a variety of things during a hunt...coins (old, new, foreign), gold & silver rings, tokens, charms, and toys. I keep all of them except the clad...that I cash in at the end of the year.

BPMM

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I kind of think it depends how far along the path in this hobby you are. When I was a teenager(many, many decades ago) it was important to do well with your coin count. After all it was a major purchase and as a newbie I wanted my detector to pay for itself. Well its a situation where you grow as you go along. After finding buckets of common coinage(Yep in those days they were mainly silver) I quickly evolved into old coin hunting and relic hunting. Today it is mainly gold nugget/specimen hunting.

If you survive this hobby in a few decades you will not have the attitude that your detector MUST pay for itself. After all odds are just working overtime on your job instead of the time spent metal detecting would bring you many many times more money. Odds are also that you may become more affluent later in life and the dollar amount you find is less important than the thrill of finding it.

It is just what still interests you. If clad hunting excites you go for it. I know of several park hunters than simply ignore clad coinage as they are looking for old deep coins.

Different strokes for different folks.
George

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i love about md'ing is the satisfaction of being the first person to find a relic in 10,30,50, or 150 years. I constantly think of how something was lost and i relive the experience of seeing that silver ring or the eagle in the hole. Each hole has a surprise and i love cracking open that sod and hoping that it will be the next big relic

HH
-GC

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
I just love finding stuff and wondering why and how it got there. Coins
and jewelry are always nice , but old relics really push my button......oh
and I feel obligated to be there for my friend the metal detector while it's fighting its terrible pull tab addiction :(
Friends don't let friends discriminate pull tabs !

Doozis

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
gallileo60 said:
Well first let me say in all the years I've hunted, I have never really found anything good..A ring here, and there...A bunch of clad, a few silver coins, and several wheats which mean alot to me...

I would like to find any CW relic, never really hunted for them tho..Not to many battlefields near where I live....I would like to get my chance at some old homesteads...Love finding old coins...I like history, so if it is a fossil, I like it, if it is an old relic, I like it....I just enjoy pulling stuff out of the ground, and knowing it would have never been seen by another person if not for me..

I do CRH'ing also, and pulled a 1918 penny the other day, I also found a 1918 penny in an old yard the same week...The one I dug up meant alot more to me, because anyone could have found the one in the roll of pennys, but only I could have found the one in the yard..There will be a condo there in a few months...So I saved a bit of history, no matter how small...Tom Shaw

Great post... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
lots of interest in relics...One point with jewelry...kind of sad how the jewelers like to rip you off...I remember twenty years ago finding my first gold ring....it had the name of a park on it...Back then I did not have a computer or the great support...we get from each other on these forums. I called the operator asked her to look up the park for me. She said there was no park by that name in the state....

well low and behold when I bought my 2nd house guess which park is half a block away...right the park the operator said was not in the state! Not only was it in the state....but less then 5 miles from where I found it...in the same city...nice to have computers now to do research...I still remember selling it for $65 :D

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Jeffro said:
plus the free beer and the thrill of being a total babe magnet when I'm swinging my detector, of course. :D
Bravo!! I couldn't of said it better! The awe on the faces of the masses when I retrieve that quickly rotting zinker says it all. "Here's a man that's trying to save the national deficit. Each and every "penny" he puts back into circulation, brings our country that much closer to stabilization". Chicks dig that........

No, actually, when the "beeps" are sounding off in my head, I'm a million miles from my stresses......
Addicted?.... Totally.
Problem?.... Not unless I trip and fall while detecting.
Cure?.... I hope not.
Wife?.... The best in the world. Supportive in every way. (as long as she gets to keep the jewelry:-)

To each and all. Happy Hunting!
Jules

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to hunt because it's a great stress reliever and a way to get out of the house and get some fresh air and exercise. There's always the possibility of finding something interesting or valuable that keeps me hooked.

For me, a dream find would be a really cool relic. I love the idea of finding a piece of history. In this country, something from the Colonial era or the Civil War era would be great.

A couple of weeks ago, I dug what I took to be a piece of trash that I threw in the trunk of my car and subsequently lost. I found out from looking at someone else's post after the fact that it was a CW bridle rosette. Leave it to me to find something that was really something to talk about and lose it.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I've cought every type of fish in the river yet I still enjoy going fishing and always will. I think of detecting in the same way, it's the thrill of not knowing just what you will pull out of the ground next and there is always that chance that you will discover the big one.

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I grew up by the ocean as a poor boy. Dad took off and mom raised the five of us. I was good at finding things on the beach or on the playground and regular ground. I always had the treasure bug in me but couldn't afford a detector. I started MDing this June and each time I am out just finding something is great. My clad is adding up and that is nice and eventhough I haven't found any significant jewlery, which I hope to some day, I still get the thrill of the hunt. I do look forward to finding some old coin or relics. I would like to find a valuable ring to say "see honey there really is gold etc out there". She thinks I went off the deep end but did tell me to get out and detect tonight. I guess she is accepting my new hobby. The exercise I get and the friendships of meeting other MDers is more valuable than the finds. My ultimate find would probably be a hidden cache of a large amount of money, gold, or silver or possibly that old artifact that is priceless. The best though is waking up each day and being healthy enough to detect.

HH all Roy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread