Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
UpDate: I just cleaned the dug Indian cent. See pictures 3 & 4 for before and after.

I cut the bottom limbs off a big pine tree (by owners permission and desire) and then detected that area. The finds where very deep due to 3 to 4 inches of rotted pine needles.

I like to do free yardwork ;D Some THers constantly complain about not getting permission to hunt. Give the land owner something in exchange for the right to hunt. Once in you're usually in for good. That old house down the street where that old man lives needs the grass mowed or a screen door fixed. Stop in to see the old guy and maybe you can make a deal? If we all give something instead of just take maybe this hobby will be round for our grand kids. Good idea..eh?

14K Ring = approx. 9 inches
Indian Cent = 7 inches
1946 Nickel = 5 inches

I didn't check the depths on the other stuff. Bottles were dug while digging the Indian and some trash.

My detector worked smooth on max sensitivity even with powerlines overhead.

One bottle was really odd. Looks like a wick coming out of it.

Thanks for stopping in.

Badger

Attachments

• tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,316
  • tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,321
  • tree5.jpg
    tree5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 1898cent.jpg
    1898cent.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 600
  • tree6.jpg
    tree6.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 600
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 608
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What Can You Find Under An Old Tree?

Nice post and awesome finds MB, congrats! Good idea about the small jobs for trade. HH, Mike

WHEELS1973

May 26, 2007
MISSOURI
Detector(s) used
XTERA 30

well im brand new to the site. just bought my first metal detector yesterday cant wait till the xterra 30 gets here. its really more for my wife she has been wanting one for the longest time. but the main thing i wanted to say was i think your idea is great. im actually confined to a wheelchair and if someone were to come to my house and want to detect in exchange for doing a simple chore for me i would be more than happy to let them. great idea

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds Badger,

I wouldn't mind fixing a few things to do some hunting. It's a great approach to getting permission. If that's what was just under the tree. I wonder what else is out there.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

JerDfx said:
Nice finds Badger,

I wouldn't mind fixing a few things to do some hunting. It's a great approach to getting permission. If that's what was just under the tree. I wonder what else is out there.

HH Jer

I've covered the rest of the area for years but couldn't reach this one spot due to the tree.

This applies to me as well as anyone because I've spent too much time looking for land owners permission without offering them anything in return. This step may not always be necessary but it could gain one entrance where dozens of others were turned down. And too it could help give the hobby a better name. Anyway I think so.

Badger

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

Sure glad you brought out the work for permission idea Badger, and the rewards. Wonder how many of the "I can't get permission or a place to hunt" posters will benefit from this?
Most of us probably have a mower or weed whacker in the shed and that can be the key to getting a virgin yard and the over burden removed with grateful property owner. Might even check with some realators on cleaning up their listings "free". You're the man Badger!

T

TreasureTales

Very nice variety of finds. And you are to be commended for giving a positive twist to our hobby. Which bottle appears to have a wick sticking out of it? I'd like to see a closeup of that one. I do see a top to a kerosene lamp, it could have a wick in it - but I presume you are already aware of that. :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, to think I was going to answer acorns :D

T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, that is odd. Don't know what it was, but reminds me of the old shoe polish applicators.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

TreasureTales said:
Hmmm, that is odd. Don't know what it was, but reminds me of the old shoe polish applicators.

To me it looks like a little lamp of some type.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Badger

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds and good advice - i think it's only fair to trade a little work to be able to detect ...

vp

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Nice cleaning job, she's very pretty. Mind telling us the technique used to clean it? Electrolisis, the peroxide and warm water, or your own special trick?

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX
Hey Badger -- great finds! And a great approach for getting hunting permission. If we all tried that, our overall image would definitely improve in the eyes of the public.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Nice cleaning job, she's very pretty. Mind telling us the technique used to clean it? Electrolisis, the peroxide and warm water, or your own special trick?

I usually use a rock tumbler with aquarium gravel and water just long enough so the details will show and most of the patina stays on the coin. But this coin was so corroded I also had to give it about 5 minutes of electrolysis. I then buffed it a little and sealed it with a clear coat polyurethane spray. Every coin cleans differently.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Badger,

It seems to me I read somewhere that some ailments were treated with vapors from different things.
Do you think maybe the wick in that one bottle was how they would release the vapors ...like camphor ?

Just throwing an idea out there. Kick it arround a while and if it dosen't pass muster. Knock it aside.
LOL

OD

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Dog said:
Badger,

It seems to me I read somewhere that some ailments were treated with vapors from different things.
Do you think maybe the wick in that one bottle was how they would release the vapors ...like camphor ?

Just throwing an idea out there. Kick it arround a while and if it dosen't pass muster. Knock it aside.
LOL

OD

That's a good idea and I'll have to look into that.

Thanks!

Badger

Aucadet

Greenie
Aug 23, 2004
There used to be a product called "Air-Wick" that had a cap that you unscrewed and pulled the wick out of the bottle. The ones I remember were green bottles. Yours may be an early version of the "Air-Wick".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread