What Contributed MOST to your Best Detecting Day Ever?

What was MOST responsible for your best day detecting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I would say location but on my best day it was a combination of location and machine.
I went over the area a couple of times with my Explorer and got some good finds but it was extremely trashy in some areas. Once I got the hang of my Outlaw I went back to hit the trashy areas where I found a small gold 10k ring, a couple of silver Canadian quarters and a couple of dimes, 2 or 3 large cents and a very thin gold chain which was most impressive.
It wasn't a banner day but a very good day because that is the day I fell in love with my Outlaw. Five years later she is still my girl. :laughing7:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best hunt was back in 1984 right after I had purchased a White's 6000di. I hunted a strip of grass in front of the high school I attended back in the 1960's. The turf I hunted was where the kids got on and off the bus and where they smoked between classes. I actually hunted this site numerous times and ended up with over 750 clad coins plus 33 silver coins including an 1893 barber Quarter.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location is not everything, if you don't know how to hunt it. E.g. once I randomly walked through a forest and found some watches, they were damaged, also a silver pocket watch was there. I could have been satisfied and searching for another location, but I knew that this site was not done. The next day I made a very dense search around the silver pocket watch and found another one and behind a tree I unearthed a big hoard of world war ii badges. In the surrounding I also found more pocket watches. And again I could have been satisfied but the site was not done. The next two days I searched in the wider surroundings and found valuable SS dog tags and more watches.

So I think the first thing what contributed was simply luck, then the location but also the skill to exploit the site, looking under every branch and leaf and into every corner of this forest to not miss something.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little of all that hills are my best spots hands down

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location! An old timer told me about the old fairground he had hunted years ago. It was my first real permission. I left with twenty two coins, the youngest by 60 years was a Merc, the rest was a Reale, Seated, trimes, Indians, half dimes, large cents ... I didn't even know what half the coins were back then. I am still looking for a location to rival it. I wonder what the guy before me found?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Location! An old timer told me about the old fairground he had hunted years ago. It was my first real permission. I left with twenty two coins, the youngest by 60 years was a Merc, the rest was a Reale, Seated, trimes, Indians, half dimes, large cents ... I didn't even know what half the coins were back then. I am still looking for a location to rival it. I wonder what the guy before me found?
He found a rock.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location hands down. Without the location you would have no place to go and nothing could be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread