What Could be Found in This Abandoned Gold Mine We Stumbled Upon?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would drink a 12 pack strap on some night vison tie a rope around me and have a friend slowly tea bag me down there to see what kind of relics pokes nuggets skeletons were going on in there. Tommy

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being way up on the mountain, it could have been as BillA stated or it was possibly a air/vent shaft. The main shaft entrance/entrances, may be further down the mountain but also covered over and hidden. Look for tailing piles further down the sides of the ridge and the entrance/entrances should be nearby. As smokeythecat suggested, locate the tailing piles and metal detect them as well as crush and pan the material.

To me it does not look like and air shaft they usually ran and air shaft vertical to draw air up it looks like a main to me. You can see how those sets are so close together that means bad formation they are holding a lot up.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
To me it does not look like and air shaft they usually ran and air shaft vertical to draw air up it looks like a main to me. You can see how those sets are so close together that means bad formation they are holding a lot up.

You might be right! However, in the first two pics, there are no support timbers or shimming up of the walls to be seen. Also, the O.P. stated the following: "My friend took his small army surplus folding shovel and started poking around and a hole appeared. He was able to move enough dirt that he exposed a small tunnel leading to an old mine shaft.", so that led me to believe it was an air shaft but of course, it could have been an escape tunnel. While I would never advocate anyone going into the mine to check but the bluish, blue-green and purplish appearing rocks in the first pic have the appearance of Peacock Ore and other ores which may be valuable by themselves or point toward a decent Gold deposit. I wonder if they are that color or if it was a lighting effect when the pic was taken!!??

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be right! However, in the first two pics, there are no support timbers or shimming up of the walls to be seen. Also, the O.P. stated the following: "My friend took his small army surplus folding shovel and started poking around and a hole appeared. He was able to move enough dirt that he exposed a small tunnel leading to an old mine shaft.", so that led me to believe it was an air shaft but of course, it could have been an escape tunnel. While I would never advocate anyone going into the mine to check but the bluish, blue-green and purplish appearing rocks in the first pic have the appearance of Peacock Ore and other ores which may be valuable by themselves or point toward a decent Gold deposit. I wonder if they are that color or if it was a lighting effect when the pic was taken!!??

The reason there are no sets or supports in the portal is they pulled them out to make it cave in they did not any one getting in there its and old trick.

OP
OP
R

russian_bot

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2019
GA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had to crawl in through the passage in the first 2 pics. Once we got down into the actual shaft where the timbers were we could stand up. We had to crawl over that cave-in in the shaft, though.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you've probably made most of the mistakes you could make, so why the heck not? The thing that should've turned you around quick is where the roofs caved. Wet rotten broken timbering not a good thing. What should've been going through your head instead of wonder if we can get past the rubble is, is it done caving? What's just hanging by a thread. If you go back at least let somebody know exactly where you're going and think about taking another buddy to be a top man if things go sideways. He can go for or call for help. We'd like to see more of your posts so be careful and for heck sakes use common sense!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread