What depth difference between the 9 and 11 inch coils?

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seriously looking at getting the Deus. I am just curious what depth difference there is between the 9 and 11 inch coils?

Background. I have been treasure hunting for 18 years. I have owned two top line machines in that time. First one was the Minelab Soverign, second was the Explorer SE pro. I am not looking to go back to Minelab based on their customer service was subpar.

I realize that I can tweak the heck out of the Deus and that is what I like so if the difference is less than 2 inches then I plan to get the 9". I generally hunt parks and construction sites.

Thanks.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is about 2". It sounds like the 9" is what you want. I cant even tell you what an INCREDIBLE upgrade it is to the explorer se. Especially if you plan on hitting any places with iron beds. i went from the explorer se to the ctx 3030 and then just 9 months later to the deus. Now the 9" Deus coil will not be any competition for either of those minelabs on depth. To tell the truth I dont know if I have ever dug much deeper than I did with the explorer se. Just crazy depth. But man did that thing suck in iron.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the depth is about the same, I have both, love and use them both.....The 9" coil is great for real heavy trash, the 11" is no slouch in trash. The 11" is what I use if not in a trash heavy area,......They are close but if you might find yourself hunting trash, get the 9 now and the 11 later, do not bother with the 13 IMO even if you can get them for a couple hundred bucks or so.

Your going to love the Deus, just give yourself time to learn this machine and what it tells you, the thing that F'd me up was basing the Deus on the machines I used before, once I"forgot" how the others was, the Deus really clicked in my head, that being said, I am still learning it, but I do not get to go out often..(life sucks!...LOL).

Anyway, you WILL find the Deus out performs anything out there....

Jim

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Some of our older parks where I dig old coins were once farms. On of the parks I dig square nails in the 12" range. Construction sites can also be horrible with iron. I like the smaller coils for their maneuverability when the dirt has been turned. The last construction site that we hunted had huge sections that were just null on my explorer. My machine fried and I fell back to bottle digging the site since that is where we were finding most of the really cool things.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me the depth is about the same, I have both, love and use them both.....The 9" coil is great for real heavy trash, the 11" is no slouch in trash. The 11" is what I use if not in a trash heavy area,......They are close but if you might find yourself hunting trash, get the 9 now and the 11 later, do not bother with the 13 IMO even if you can get them for a couple hundred bucks or so.

Your going to love the Deus, just give yourself time to learn this machine and what it tells you, the thing that F'd me up was basing the Deus on the machines I used before, once I"forgot" how the others was, the Deus really clicked in my head, that being said, I am still learning it, but I do not get to go out often..(life sucks!...LOL).

Anyway, you WILL find the Deus out performs anything out there....

Jim

Just wondering if you still had your 13"? I might know someone who would buy it from you if so. Thanks

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I will admit it. I had some really good quotes on a new Deus from some of the first rate dealers on this website, but I ended up finding one local much cheaper used.

Anyway, I am back on board with a Deus. I managed to find a really good price on a used 13" coil and I will chime in, once it arrives and I have a few hunts under my belt. The machine right now has a 9" coil. I felt that the 9" is required and a 13" will give me all the depth I can handle until they come out with a deeper or better coil. Should be a neat comparison.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I will admit it. I had some really good quotes on a new Deus from some of the first rate dealers on this website, but I ended up finding one local much cheaper used.

Anyway, I am back on board with a Deus. I managed to find a really good price on a used 13" coil and I will chime in, once it arrives and I have a few hunts under my belt. The machine right now has a 9" coil. I felt that the 9" is required and a 13" will give me all the depth I can handle until they come out with a deeper or better coil. Should be a neat comparison.

A few things I found with the 13":

1. I push the lower coil rod an extra 2" into the upper shaft to reduce the extra weight. This allows me to swing it all day with no problems. I swing the 13" coil just in front of my feet which is easy to get used to.
2. I found the need to run manual ground a bit higher than with the 9 to reduce excessive chatter - when needed.
3. Electrical interference is much more pronounced. Some places make it almost impossible to use. Switch to 9 in those areas (or grab the CTX) and problem fixed.

I don't see much difference between the 13 and the 11 except for increased detecting depth and so I just use the 13 in the open areas full time. I bet you'll be surprised how well it works even in moderate trash and iron.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of my machines is the Explorer SE, boy it goes deep! To combat the iron issue I would run it in All Metal mode (no nulling) and listen for the goodies to sing. Using this setting and slowing way down produced for me, but as you can imagine the audio is very busy. This is my opinion and by no means a Minelab expert.

Good luck with you new machine!

Regards,

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my machines is the Explorer SE, boy it goes deep! To combat the iron issue I would run it in All Metal mode (no nulling) and listen for the goodies to sing. Using this setting and slowing way down produced for me, but as you can imagine the audio is very busy. This is my opinion and by no means a Minelab expert.

Good luck with you new machine!

Regards,

This is kind of what I do with the CTX. I will use all metal and then run the discriminate to check out the sounds and readings. Sometimes the discriminate program will hide shallow coins. Took me a while to get used to hearing all the sounds and being able to pick out the good signals, but it has definitely increased my finds running it this way, and I get an extra inch or so of depth from the machine running it in all metal.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am seriously looking at getting the Deus. I am just curious what depth difference there is between the 9 and 11 inch coils?

Background. I have been treasure hunting for 18 years. I have owned two top line machines in that time. First one was the Minelab Soverign, second was the Explorer SE pro. I am not looking to go back to Minelab based on their customer service was subpar.

I realize that I can tweak the heck out of the Deus and that is what I like so if the difference is less than 2 inches then I plan to get the 9". I generally hunt parks and construction sites.

Thanks.

I love the 9" as it is amazing in trash and iron. Best park/celler hole machine on the market. It would be my pick from what you described. Holler if you have questions. Love to help you!

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went against my better judgment and got the 11". I am just super freaked out about not buying a minelab. :D I think the Deus will be so much better with target seperation that I will be fine. If later on I think I need it then I will buy the 9".

Thanks for the input.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went against my better judgment and got the 11". I am just super freaked out about not buying a minelab. :D I think the Deus will be so much better with target seperation that I will be fine. If later on I think I need it then I will buy the 9".

Thanks for the input.

If I wanted just one coil, I would have gotten the 11". You might find a replacement 9" coil easier later on or you could even trade your 11" for it.

I just recently got a steal of a deal on the 13" coil and I was surprised that it was very easy to pinpoint. I was suspecting I would have to dig a bigger plug, but my plugs stayed in the 3-5" range.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the input.

Great choice! It will amaze you!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update:

I've got about 20 hours of detecting on the 13" coil. It covers a wider area, and it is easy to pinpoint, but I am not seeing any extreme depth with it. I had heard that it doesn't get really any deeper than the 11" coil. I know it is deeper than the 9" by a small margin.

I've been finding coins in the 7-8" depth was about all. I will give it more time to make sure it wasn't just me. One location I took it, I was finding silver dimes in the 8-9 inch range with the CTX. With my last hunt with the Deus and 13" coil I had dug a few wheats up around the 7" depth, but they weren't coming in extremely clear. Audio response was set at 2-3 with reactivity set at 2. I still think it is a deep coil, just not as deep as I would have expected. If anyone has other suggestions for the settings let me know, and I will try them.

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
excal 11 , explorer se, garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set the audio response to 5 to tell a target from chatter and silencer to -1

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update:

I've got about 20 hours of detecting on the 13" coil. It covers a wider area, and it is easy to pinpoint, but I am not seeing any extreme depth with it. I had heard that it doesn't get really any deeper than the 11" coil. I know it is deeper than the 9" by a small margin.

I've been finding coins in the 7-8" depth was about all. I will give it more time to make sure it wasn't just me. One location I took it, I was finding silver dimes in the 8-9 inch range with the CTX. With my last hunt with the Deus and 13" coil I had dug a few wheats up around the 7" depth, but they weren't coming in extremely clear. Audio response was set at 2-3 with reactivity set at 2. I still think it is a deep coil, just not as deep as I would have expected. If anyone has other suggestions for the settings let me know, and I will try them.

I dont think it gets much deeper than the 11" either. The only reason I use it is "just in case it does" and it covers area fast. Because its so light and easy to pinpoint with there really is nothing to keep a person from using the 13" instead of the 11" full time in an open area. Its surprising how well it works in trash too. Not that I would do it but i noticed it plucked nice stuff from my iron infested areas. Must be the Deus' technology.

polecat

Mar 23, 2015
texas
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

I have been using the Deus 9" coil for about 3 years. I have just purchased the 11" coil hoping to get better depth. I have only used it once and I really don't know if it is really getting better depth. Can anyone send me their suggestions for settings. I also would like it to go deeper.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the Deus 9" coil for about 3 years. I have just purchased the 11" coil hoping to get better depth. I have only used it once and I really don't know if it is really getting better depth. Can anyone send me their suggestions for settings. I also would like it to go deeper.

Might want to get a copy of Andy's book: then you will understand all the settings and how they can effect depth. There are tradeoffs with many of the settings and each individual has to determine for themselves what choices to make based on what they are hunting for and the conditions of the site.

There is no magic set of settings for all occasions at all sites.

If you want to compare the depth of each, bury a dime or a quarter and keep moving it deeper until the 9" can't find it with your current settings; then switch to the 11" without changing settings and then see how much deeper if any it will pick it up.

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth is I dont see too much difference in the depth of these 2 coils UNLESS its in un-trashy, open ground. THEN, the 11" has the advantage. I'll take the 9" any day in the trashy spots. It gets way more hits. At least thats what I have found.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Truth is I dont see too much difference in the depth of these 2 coils UNLESS its in un-trashy, open ground. THEN, the 11" has the advantage. I'll take the 9" any day in the trashy spots. It gets way more hits. At least thats what I have found.

What about in the medium trash, such as many old victorian style houses? Where does the coil selection change there for the depth hoped to gain from getting the 11"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread