Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can think of when I see this is that it's a flagpole topper but what's throwing me off is how it mounts.

It also has the appearance of a hood ornament.

EAGLE 1.jpg
EAGLE 2.jpg
EAGLE 3.jpg
EAGLE 4.jpg
EAGLE 5.jpg

Head to tail: 5.5 inches
Width: 4 inches
Weight: 1 lb - 3.4 oz

Any ideas?

THX - :blackbeard:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would appear it is indeed a finial.the unfinished legs acomodate any application.this one is veery close if not it... 17693578_1_l.jpg and yours.. EAGLE 5.jpg

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle

I found this picture which is similar and it was being"offered" as a Flag pole topper.I myself have seen Eagles like the OP that faced the house at the top of flag,As a gaurd of sorts( stop rain,snow,etc.)so the flag would not be harmed at night when it was to be inside or rolled&covered if out.To me it has to do with the flag.A topper if you will!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!
It still needs a positive I.D.

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.483658213_sa7r.jpg
    il_fullxfull.483658213_sa7r.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice eagle with some genuine patina that you just gotta love. Not so sure of the flag finial, One screw to fasten it seems a bit weak, especially the fact that the screw does not even go through the tail feathers. Looks like the talons were made seperately then inserted, probably more detailed and intricate, which all makes me believe it to be something else...but what?:dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it would appear that the ball it sits on is two piece.the top half includes the legs.screw would attach to tail from inside upper half of ball.these were also used as stove top finials,weather vane,flag pole,mail box...you name it.the shape of tail nails this for me.see again my upper post with this in mind.

a simple guess

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would appear that the ball it sits on is two piece.the top half includes the legs.screw would attach to tail from inside upper half of ball.these were also used as stove top finials,weather vane,flag pole,mail box...you name it.the shape of tail nails this for me.see again my upper post with this in mind.

a simple guess

I don't doubt that it is some sort of finial but it seems odd that the screw is short and does not go through the tail. It would be difficult to screw it to the inside of the globe's upper half. Most flag or weathervane eagles that I have seen are either made one piece with the globe or are screwed to the globe from under the eagle...like the buttocks area. At least that has seemed to be the easier way to affix them together.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt that it is some sort of finial but it seems odd that the screw is short and does not go through the tail. It would be difficult to screw it to the inside of the globe's upper half. Most flag or weathervane eagles that I have seen are either made one piece with the globe or are screwed to the globe from under the eagle...like the buttocks area. At least that has seemed to be the easier way to affix them together.

I hear you. You make some good points

I think Bigfoot's post was more right than wrong so I'm going to mark this as "solved" now since there are so many abandoned 'What is it' threads that appear unresolved

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread