What Do I buy?

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I have decided to upgrade because I have fallen in love with this hobby. I collect coins, I'm going to sell off some of my collection and I have pretty much decided to get a minelab. Seriously thinking about getting the X-Terra 30 from Kellyco for 398.97 and this deal includes a bunch of really good looking extras. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal. Also if you were willing to pay up to about the 500 dollar range what would you personally get? thanks!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shanegalang said:
I have decided to upgrade because I have fallen in love with this hobby. I collect coins, I'm going to sell off some of my collection and I have pretty much decided to get a minelab. Seriously thinking about getting the X-Terra 30 from Kellyco for 398.97 and this deal includes a bunch of really good looking extras. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal. Also if you were willing to pay up to about the 500 dollar range what would you personally get? thanks!
I just got the x70 and Iam very impressed with it.. I don't know what you had, but this machine is easy to set up and very sensitive. there is alot of info and help out there for when you do get your machine, whether the x30, x50, or the x70. you can't go wrong. but if your wanting to invest might as well get the one that has it all to offer...my 2cents

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need a Minelab the X-50 is way better. The X70 is hotter yet, but as you upgrade you are into spending more money. Now if I had it all to do over again, I would jump right into the Sovereign GT by Minelab and save all the money I spent over the years.

Well I guess I really wouldn't save any cause I just like to learn the new detectors and buying them is the only way I can keep it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what kind of hunting you want to do, where your going to do it and the max you want to spend.

I have 2 Excal 1000's, a waterproof Sov GT with WOT and another Sov GT with another WOT. I prefer beach hunting, but do some land hunting since I can't always get to the beach.

I have heard some really good things about the X-Terra 70. I really like the ML detectors, if I bought a X-Terra I would get the 70, but that is just my opinion...

Think about the type of hunting you want to do and buy the best you can afford for that.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Just received a Minelab through a trade with a fellow. It is a good machine. Seems to be a little slower in response to targets. My Garretts are lightning fast with response. Anyway - my X-terra 30 requires that you slow down a bit - this is not a negative aspect. I currently have 8 machines and love to hunt with everyone of them. You can't go wrong with any name brand machine. My suggestion is very simple - buy more than one machine - it makes things more interesting.

Bavarianminister

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bavarian,

Sounds like me, I have 8 myself at the moment although I have one of my Excals for sale on the local craigslist. Played with my Fisher 1235X after work today. Competition hunting will be here soon.............Money is in the mail, for the Troy Shadow X2 I just got off of here and it should be on it's way shortly.

Between the 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador and the Troy X2 I hope to have an even better time at this years shootout. ;) I had a lot of interference last year, and traded the detector that I used last year that had the least amount of interference of the 3 I had with me.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If your budget is $500 then add a little to it and buy the xterra 50. By having the ground balance feature alone is worth it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if $500 was my budget, as much as i like minelab, i dont think i would buy one. i would look at the tesoro detectors or maybe a whites mxt used.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hollowpointred said:
if $500 was my budget, as much as i like minelab, i dont think i would buy one. i would look at the tesoro detectors or maybe a whites mxt used.
I also have the vaquero...yes it is a powerhouse.. I would also recommend it..but if it is a target id you want then either the x series or even the cortes.. I used the cortes for about 2 weeks and it didn't seem to have the depth the vaq did, but it maybe just me but the target id don't seem to get the same depth... either machine would be a good addition to your arsenal...
pros on the cortes ..discrimination, over average depth, and warranty.
cons... dials that i was constantly touching by accident and the ground balance
pros on the x70,,, just got it... jury is still out..
cons.... same

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks alot for all of the advice. I think I will go with the 30 as it fits my price range......after really looking at my coin collection I hate to part with a great deal of them :(.......if I see fit I will upgrade yet again sometimes in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread