diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find another like it. Don't know what to call it. It has a smoked glass globe. The plug is not polarized. The lamp portion itself is a westinghouse socket. The fire ball looking portion is rubber or something and it's actually a lightbulb. I've looked for this lamp and/or lighbulb and I can't find a thing. I would guess it's something that may have came from Spencer's or some place like that originally. Any thoughts as to what it is or where it came from or what it's called. I guess what i'm really looking for is another example of it somewhere.

DSC02639.jpg DSC02637.jpg

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen quite a few of those bulbs and even balls such as that one.. It's like clear caulking or something similar. As for exactly what it's called.. I have no idea

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spikes are silicon. I found similiar bulbs, but nothing like the whole globe piece. Looks like a neat effect.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spikes are silicon. I found similiar bulbs, but nothing like the whole globe piece. Looks like a neat effect.

That's actually what I meant to say.. silicone

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find another like it. Don't know what to call it. It has a smoked glass globe. The plug is not polarized. The lamp portion itself is a westinghouse socket. The fire ball looking portion is rubber or something and it's actually a lightbulb. I've looked for this lamp and/or lighbulb and I can't find a thing. I would guess it's something that may have came from Spencer's or some place like that originally. Any thoughts as to what it is or where it came from or what it's called. I guess what i'm really looking for is another example of it somewhere.

View attachment 731503 View attachment 731504

Being a seller, I'm sure that you're wondering what something like that is worth... Other than the fact that you're probably right about it being sold in a Spencer gift shop... Once that bulb burns out you'd have to locate another one which nobody in this thread has apparently been able to do as of yet.. It would then be just another lamp 8-)

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
You know those fake 35MM SLR look-alike cameras that you used to be able to win or buy for what seemed to be a killer deal - - until you actually saw how cheaply it was made? That thing looks like it was meant to fool catalog shoppers into believing they were buying a "plasma lamp". When in dismay they go back to the catalog and re-read the description it doesn't actually say "plasma lamp"; they're stuck with the crapola they bought.
I have a lot of experience in being made a sucker, so I should know. . .

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orange or red bulb and some silicone, how hard could it be to make one? The only one I've found is from the U.K. and uses a different base and is 240v.

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it could be a one-of-a-kind handmade item. Especially with the unique light bulb, the fact the plug is not polarized, and the Westinghouse socket... used a lot by lighting hobbyists.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orange or red bulb and some silicone, how hard could it be to make one?

Not hard at all but I would think that the person who buys something such as this wouldn't be able to figure that out.

(not referring to diggummup)

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Mr. Apush view the lamp. He had never seen one before either. He is a electrical engineer. The only thing he could say is that it was "way cool" and that he was surprised that it was not polarized. Perhaps the 1990s or earlier?
apush

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey diggummup, I saw those bulbs a liitle while back at the Cooper City wallyworld. I have no idea what they call them. If I find them, I'll throw up a link for ya.
The lamp looks really cool!

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like something Spencer Gifts would have sold. I don't think they are around anymore.
They were a mall store that sold a lot of psychodelic and hip stuff.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and replies everyone. So they are silicone bulbs I guess. I found a couple more here (scroll down to the 6th photo from the top)- Dark Roasted Blend: Light Bulb Creativity
Although, it says these are "piped glass", I don't believe that, looks like silicone to me.

Berries? Medusa Monsters?
...piped glass added to the outside, very unusual:

funky-light-bulbs.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread