What Do I Do?

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is the story,

I went to a bank last week about 45 minutes away and asked if they had halves, I scored two Solid rolls of 64's. Then I went back this week and while I was walking in I see this older gentleman dropping these silver half dollars onto the counter and asking for them to deposit them into his grandson's account. So another teller called me over and I asked for half dollars really loudly, so the older gentleman would hear me. Then me and him got into a long discussion about how I am probably a collector just like he was and he smiled. He then told the tellers that these half dollars were special, because they were minted right after kennedy's assassination in 1963, and they could be worth up to a $1 maybe a little more. So I bought the 5 half dollars all 64's, once again, and walked out of the bank and waited for him. Then while he was walking out of the bank, I approached him, and he also walked towards me. I asked him if he had anymore half dollars that he would be willing to sell and he said he has a lot at home but he wants to save some for his daughter, but she doesn't need them all and I could have the rest. He said he would deposit some more and I could have them, I gladly thanked him and we walked separate ways. My dilemma is that I leave for college tomorrow?!?! So what do I do?

P.S. Long time lurker only post if I feel the need to

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I would have told him what they're worth and offered him near melt. Kind of messed up you ripped a few hundred in silver off him and are trying to rip more off him for face. Do the guy a favor and pay him half of melt for the remainder of the stash.

Fixed, not near face, near melt...

Last edited:

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I would have told him what they're worth and offered him near face. Kind of messed up you ripped a few hundred in silver off him and are trying to rip more off him for face. Do the guy a favor and pay him half of melt for the remainder of the stash.

I hear this over and over. It's pretty messed up.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Go back to the bank and see if the teller will call him and ask if they can give you his contact info and set up a time and offer to pay $3 a piece for them.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to clarify further... the few times I've been able to track down people dumping silver, I've bought a substantial amount more silver off them for 80-85% of spot and flipped it. Last time the guy had a decent coin collection too. Ended up buying the whole collection for about $2.5k and sold it for almost $4k (There were a couple rare varieties in there that I didn't know about), so I called him up and gave him an extra $500. Now his friend wants me to handle the sale of his collection on consignment since he's getting too old to enjoy it and his kids don't care... from what I've heard, we're talking a high 5 digit collection... somewhere around $30k in junk silver and bullion alone... and I stand to make 15% on it. That's $4,500 on bullion alone... and the dude apparently has full sets of Walkers, Mercs, SLQ's, and later-date quarter and half eagles.

Long story short... living by the golden rule can sometimes get you way more than a few rolls of silver...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The tellers aren't going to give you his information. They'll lose their jobs. And they aren't going to help you coordinate a meeting. You lost your chance. Your only hope is stumbling upon the man again and offering the fair price for the rest. If you are lucky and do meet up again, then offer the man $7/each (Kennedy); $8/each (Franklins); $9/each (Walkers). You want the silver, but you also want the old stuff. Melt is a little over $10. Not a great deal for you, but you'll look back at this opportunity and wish you had a chance to buy Walkers at $9/each again.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, First of all I would have offered fair price but he just wanted to give it away, which is why he was just depositing them into his grandson's account. Secondly, I gave him two crisp $100 bills and told him to deposit them in his grandson's account, which was all he was set on doing.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, First of all I would have offered fair price but he just wanted to give it away, which is why he was just depositing them into his grandson's account. Secondly, I gave him two crisp $100 bills and told him to deposit them in his grandson's account, which was all he was set on doing.

Huh :icon_scratch: I didn't see that in your original post, did I miss something?

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully you'll run into him again and be able to work out a deal. Remember that we are the educated ones with regards to coin values. Make sure you give him and everyone you encounter a fair and honorable price.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Why didn't you just be honest with him and TELL him you would LOVE the halves, but you were leaving for college in two days. Could you come over NOW and buy them from him. You would evenfollow him tohis house and do the deal right there, if he could do that.

And you could have even offered him $2 per half, making his day.

If you opened up, I bet he would have been nice enough to say yes,and you could have bought them from him right then and there.

Close the deal. Boldness can't hurt. :-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
this part doesn't make sense now. " So I bought the 5 half dollars all 64's," and " I gave him two crisp $100 bills and told him to deposit them in his grandson's account" Surely you didn't pay $200 for 5 halves. So what am I missing here??

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
this part doesn't make sense now. " So I bought the 5 half dollars all 64's," and " I gave him two crisp $100 bills and told him to deposit them in his grandson's account" Surely you didn't pay $200 for 5 halves. So what am I missing here??

The plot thickens....

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty obvious he's BSing in an attempt to save face.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a heads up before it does happen, there will be no flaming or insults towards members....

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
The tellers aren't going to give you his information. They'll lose their jobs. And they aren't going to help you coordinate a meeting. You lost your chance. Your only hope is stumbling upon the man again and offering the fair price for the rest. If you are lucky and do meet up again, then offer the man $7/each (Kennedy); $8/each (Franklins); $9/each (Walkers). You want the silver, but you also want the old stuff. Melt is a little over $10. Not a great deal for you, but you'll look back at this opportunity and wish you had a chance to buy Walkers at $9/each again.

The newbs advice? I'll be sure to ask your permission FIRST before posting anything because I forgot you were a moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a heads up before it does happen, there will be no flaming or insults towards members....

Already is happening. Diver_down is violating Treasure net rules and regulations by talking down to other members and name calling which according to treasure net forum rules, isn't aloud, and from what I understand, being a Charter Member does not give leniency in violation of the set rules

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules are the same for all including charter members.,

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take all you can get.

I just sold a bunch of junky Morgan's and peace to a old guy who thought they were worth 32 each. I made a pretty penny.

Did I tell they are only worth 22 dollars? Or 28'dollars? No. I sold them for what he wanted to,pay.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Regardless of religion, nationality, heritage, culture etc., almost every code of behavior is based upon the same principle:

Golden Rule / Silver Rule
What goes around comes around

In whatever you do and however you do it, always act in a way that you'd not be ashamed if it were to be known publicly

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How exactly is this being talked down to? You asked for advice, it sounds like Diver Down gave you good advice. :icon_scratch:
Intonation, reflection and aloofness are hard to have in a typed thread, the reader can interpet the response in so many
ways, I honestly felt that DD gave you sound advice and was no way talking down to you. He has helped me and hundreds if not thousands of people on this board that I have seen.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread