What Do I Do?

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is the story,

I went to a bank last week about 45 minutes away and asked if they had halves, I scored two Solid rolls of 64's. Then I went back this week and while I was walking in I see this older gentleman dropping these silver half dollars onto the counter and asking for them to deposit them into his grandson's account. So another teller called me over and I asked for half dollars really loudly, so the older gentleman would hear me. Then me and him got into a long discussion about how I am probably a collector just like he was and he smiled. He then told the tellers that these half dollars were special, because they were minted right after kennedy's assassination in 1963, and they could be worth up to a $1 maybe a little more. So I bought the 5 half dollars all 64's, once again, and walked out of the bank and waited for him. Then while he was walking out of the bank, I approached him, and he also walked towards me. I asked him if he had anymore half dollars that he would be willing to sell and he said he has a lot at home but he wants to save some for his daughter, but she doesn't need them all and I could have the rest. He said he would deposit some more and I could have them, I gladly thanked him and we walked separate ways. My dilemma is that I leave for college tomorrow?!?! So what do I do?

P.S. Long time lurker only post if I feel the need to

Upvote 0

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not lose any sleep or have any remorse for anyone letting something go below "fair market value." In the end of the day, if you are going to sell something, do some freaking research. I'll take an uneducated seller everyday for every purchase I ever have to make, I am more interested in maximizing the buying power of my earnings, rather than help fools and strangers reap the benefits of my being an educated buyer.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
How exactly is this being talked down to? You asked for advice, it sounds like Diver Down gave you good advice. :icon_scratch:
Intonation, reflection and aloofness are hard to have in a typed thread, the reader can interpet the response in so many
ways, I honestly felt that DD gave you sound advice and was no way talking down to you. He has helped me and hundreds if not thousands of people on this board that I have seen.

I believe there was a "newb" reference in the original post before the Mod edited it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe there was a "newb" reference in the original post before the Mod edited it.

I deleted the reference to the newbie as it violated the rules...

OP
OP
S

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this part doesn't make sense now. " So I bought the 5 half dollars all 64's," and " I gave him two crisp $100 bills and told him to deposit them in his grandson's account" Surely you didn't pay $200 for 5 halves. So what am I missing here??

I went into the bank, bought the 5 half dollars, $2.50 worth, and exited the bank, then when I caught up with him outside I explained I would be willing to purchase all the half dollars he was willing to give up, he then explained that he wanted to give some to his daughter, and the rest he would deposit into his grandson's account, this is when I realized his main goal, so I ran to my car got 2 $100 bills and handed them over, and told him that he could also put this into his grandson's account, a kind gesture that he really enjoyed, this continued the conversation for about another 5 minutes about collecting, and then I told him that I was leaving for college on Thursday and if he could deposit the rest before I left, it would be much appreciated, he then said he would do the best he could to come back to the bank before Thursday, but he most likely could not. He didn't allow me to purchase them. So back to my original question, the one before all the flame attacks, and before the mod had to step in repeatedly was, What should I do to try to get the rest of the halves? It was just a simple question, and if you didn't want to answer it don't post, as simple as that, now I thank all those that posted nice suggestions and answers, and i'm truly sorry that I didn't want to go down to every single detail, but there was no reason for posts like this, from someone that just joined maybe a week ago:

It's pretty obvious he's BSing in an attempt to save face.

c'mon, where has all the passion about collecting and the help from fellow members gone, sure I don't have a thousand posts like some, but I have been a member on this site for a long time and now people just like to immediately flame and attack anyone and everyone that they can, I realize why many of the older members on this site stopped posting, I hope all of you continue to stack high and continue to collect that silver

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Back to your actual question...you cant do anything. A bank will never give you his information. You can try go to the bank everyday and try to buy all their coins/bags hoping he deposited...make friends with the tellers? If you have no way to contact him, move on and keep on rollin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope the attacks and flaming is over. Its a lot easier to delete than to edit a post so don't be surprised if a post disappears or finds they can't login for a week after posting an attack on a member.

Please treat all members with respect and follow TN rules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread