What do Indians, Slaves and Continental Army have in Common?

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday, while on my way to the plantation site that my last cannon ball came from, I stumbled upon this piece. Detected from a creek bank where indian poetry had previously been found. 11 - 1 (59).jpg
It appears to be copper, do you think it could be Indian?

Then, as I walked past an area that I no to be slave quarters I found this 11 - 1 (58).jpg It has an iron back. 11 - 1 (60).jpg

Once at the site 11 - 1 (54).jpg that I believe to be a colonial continental army camp I found 11 - 1 (55).jpg along with this musket lock piece 11 - 1 (56).jpg 11 - 1 (57).jpg

All and all a pretty good day but, no coins today! Very wet conditions here in Virginia !!!

Upvote 37

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, the disc type item is really ornate, congratulations on all the saves

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good on getting out. I still have snow and then there will be cloudy skies with mud.
Congratulations on your finds.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of relics, congrats on a great hunt!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The Indians were still in the stone age when the whites landed. They had no copper.

They did receive trade copper from the Europeans a little bit later though, resulting in some copper arrowheads and jewelry. I have no idea if that's what this find is, but it is certainly possible.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really fascinating site you've got there. Nice finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually the Native Americans did have copper. One mine the tribes used is near Danvile Virginia on the North Carolina side. The vein comes all the way to the surface where they could mine it easily. I don't think they were very skilled at working it but I understand they would hammer it into small sheets and make arrow heads out of it. I don't think they were into melting and pouring it.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
yes what Haldean says, Ive found copper a copper artifact here in Pa, and they are heavily found in the upper midwest, most of it is pre contact. the piece you found I have no idea on age.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a nose ring I would love to hunt somewhere that old. You got alot of resesrch to di Great finds. Tommy

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The natives in michigan had extensively mined copper in the upper peninsula well before any European stepped ashore. Out west numerous sites have been found where fires were built to heat veins of copper ore, water was then thrown on the heated ore to create turquoise. Living in tune with your surroundings doesn't equate to the stone age. Great finds. The best finds are always the ones that provoke thought.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Indians didnt mine copper and they never had hammers or any mining equipment. Try mining by using a rock and you will understand. You also dont create turquoise by throwing water on hot ore.
They never used copper arrowheads sorry to say. That's like using a spoon to cut your steak.

OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Play nice guys. I was thinking more on the lines that maybe some nice young fellow could have been sweet on some cute native girl. I am really surprised that no one liked the flint lock. I thought it was the coolest piece I found that day. Thanks for looking and may the rain gods take a break!

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
The Indians didnt mine copper and they never had hammers or any mining equipment. Try mining by using a rock and you will understand. You also dont create turquoise by throwing water on hot ore.
They never used copper arrowheads sorry to say. That's like using a spoon to cut your steak.

Indians had copper. I've excavated 1000 year old burials near where Haldean mentioned above and they have had cold hammered beads that were part of necklaces around the neck and chest areas of the remains.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Play nice guys. I was thinking more on the lines that maybe some nice young fellow could have been sweet on some cute native girl. I am really surprised that no one liked the flint lock. I thought it was the coolest piece I found that day. Thanks for looking and may the rain gods take a break!

The young guy being sweet on a native girl would be possible. Indians mining copper for arrowheads? Dont think so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread