What do manufacturers really know about other manufacturers?

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had to say....
how much do you think one manufacturer knows about another manufacturer? Nokta have been talking about the Impact since feb 2015.... a full 2 years before release. If the public knew then obviously other brands have known about it also. But from another angle, would Nokta have known about the AT max? Would anyone know about minelabs new release? Do brands spy on each other?

Chub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub, while I'm not an expert on industrial espionage ...it would only make sense that every manufacturer would have in their inventory, at least one of each model of each brand...to see what makes them "tick", for cost comparisons etc...auto manufacturers are well known for buying competitors vehicles for the same things...I spent a lot of time with the automotive industry, and more than once saw new Porsches, Audis, Mercedes etc etc...warehoused at a domestic facility. Some were complete, some not so. It's like any other cat and mouse game...Ddf

Last edited:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think First Texas has a pretty good spy game right now. I can't wait till they finally pounce and when they do, I hope they leap frog everyone. I think they get more where the industry is going than Whites or Garrett.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
☠ Cipher;5576074 said:
I think First Texas has a pretty good spy game right now. I can't wait till they finally pounce and when they do, I hope they leap frog everyone. I think they get more where the industry is going than Whites or Garrett.

Hopefully, it will be this century.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two approaches to this issue. The approach used depends on the size of the market, the cost of individual widgets, how many companies compete in the market, how litigious the market is, and the risk of getting caught. In some markets companies buy everything that their competitors make, tear them apart, and test the cost and performance of them. In other markets vendors don’t want to know what their competitors are doing, usually because they think that they have a better product, and also because they don’t want there to be any paper trail if they are sued for intellectual property infringement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread