What do northern THers do in the winter ??

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What do northern TH'ers do in the winter ??

What do I do in the winter?

;D ;D ;D ;D

have a good un..........

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi sherm, i know what you do all winter watch tin digging all summer long.

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I mostly play the banjo, surf tnet, sort/clean my digs, research new hunting spots for spring, work on obtaining permission to search old homesteads, stuff like that ;D.

Attachments

• Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 302

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

....well... I cry alot. :-[ :'(
And then I spend lot of time in the libraries and courthouse records departments trying to track down new spots to hunt and plan for next springs adventures. I try to travel to a couple of warmer spots just so I can dig.
I will get crazy about January and try to dig next to the foundations or under pines. About March I will have a pick axe out determined to dig.
I try to research as much as possible.....maybe this winter all of us snowed in Northern folks could have a little get together and just cry on each others shoulders....

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used

we usually head to arkansas around christmas, so that'll be a little break. I like the idea of the get together, not like there's anything else to do in January.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Last winter I never stopped hunting. If you find an area with a lot of trees and leaves you can still dig under them. You do get some strange looks from people caring you detector and snow shovel.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Besides digging the car out of the snow again I might stop playing the Xbox long enough to expand my research files. I like to Ice fish but do it in a small shanty. I don't even eat the fish many times. I used to travel to warmer sands on the coast, but probably won't this year. I will pour over the manufactures propaganda about the new and "better" detectors on sale again while talking myself out of a new detector.

HH,
Sandman

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin

Northerners getting together in the winter? Does that mean I have to come out of hibernation (if I was invited, of course)? ;D
I do the same as Gypsy.....do research on spots that I don't have time to hunt in the summer.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Lets see.... I watch it snow, then shovel it, then watch the snowplow put it all back!!!! Ahh winter..... In reality though, I research new spots , dream of finding treasure chests full of gold, and log on here for my daily dose of great stories and great finds. You TNET'ers keep me going when us northerners can get out ourselves!!!! Thanks to all
Greg

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

lucky1777 said:
Last winter I never stopped hunting. If you find an area with a lot of trees and leaves you can still dig under them. You do get some strange looks from people caring you detector and snow shovel.

Lucky...Lisa told me you get strange looks even when not carrying your detector! ::)
I have and will detect the parking lots where they stack the snow......

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Winter?

What winter? You must be talking about that delightful time of year when I can hunt WITHOUT mosquito's and black gnats buzzing around my head. Here in north Florida and south Alabama we just keep on swinging with a smile on our face. :)

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006

Know what you mean, here in LA, ;D Lower Alabama,that's the time of year I get to free up a couple of extra pockets where I carry those cans of mosquito sprays,and make room for more places to put goodies. ;D

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey

I think they should come out with a Metal Detecting simulator......a big one. One that you can travel to different places and use every machine out there. I know I would be using it when the ground is frozen beyond digging. Good idea?

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

gypsyheart said:
lucky1777 said:

Lucky...Lisa told me you get strange looks even when not carrying your detector! ::)
I have and will detect the parking lots where they stack the snow......
Gypsy, don't ever listen to anything Lisa says. She is jealous because I am such a great hunter.. ::)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Don't let those yankees lie to you! They are currently eating everything but the kitchen sink, and in about 20 days they are going to start hibernating....

LOL

I lived in Grand Rapids MI for a year, and I concur with Gyp when she said she cries... I certainly felt like I was going crazy being cooped up with 3 feet of lake effect snow outside...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i will detect for as long as is possible. then ill do the research and try to get permission for some hunts in the spring. i also found that woodchip hunting can be ok in the cold.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used

Ok, I put a post up for some encouragement and hope to get me thru the cold, and all these "southerners" start gloating about their 40 degree lows !!!! Man, the nerve. I mean what gives, anything to break a mans spirit ??? :'( :P ???

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Catch up on paperwork, do my taxes, sort my finds and yes do that research thingy.

I was with the other guy - last winter in Cleveland Ohio there was maybe one or two weeks where I was not able to get out. Even with snow on the ground the digging must go on! ;D ;D

PADirtfisher

Greenie
Jul 9, 2003
PA, near Philadelphia

The sign on my door reads, "Caution: Person Freezes Before Road Surface." When the frost settles for the season, I begin researching where to hunt as soon as I am able. By the end of January I am heading off to warmer climes to check out some of the spots.

By March, I've gnawed through the cover on my coil - buying the replacement signals the start of a new season for me. :)

Frank B.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions