What do they Teach in School Now??

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was next in line at a Costco store. The cashier had just noticed a strange coin in her drawer. She commented that it didn't look real. I told I would buy it from here for a dime. Which she gladly did. I now have a 1912 silver dime. She had also commented that it looked like fake money. What do they teach in schools today. Nothing that has any relevance to the real word. And certainly not critical thinking.
I am convinced that it is all part of the dummying down of Americans so that the tyrants can take over.

To anybody that doesn't collect coins, a 1912 dime would look like fake money. I don't blame school for kids not knowing what a 1912 dime looks like.

As for my 2 cents about the OP..what do you expect from an employee making minimum wage. You not going to get a college graduate to work the cash register. Most likely it was a kid who dropped out of school. Not saying it's right that they could do basic math, but if this was done at your bank then it would be a different story

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
This is absolutely unbelievable! ...I believe it, but sure don't want to!! Thanks for writing the truth of the "New and Improved" education system.

And hooray for Pearson Publishing, who are raking in millions on the Paarc Testing, that everyone knows is a failure. Standardized Testing? Answer me a question:icon_scratch: I would like to know if anyone has met a standard kid???

It's not the kids. It's not the Teacher's. The video I posted earlier in this thread, explain's the 99% of the problem with today's education. Now let's add 1% for the greed that's part of our life, the state (Illinois) and Pearson Publishing are crooks, and don't care about what happen's to the kids.

It's very important too know, that if the school that I work at, decides not to follow the guidelines that the state wants them to follow, they will lose funding from the state. They just do not have any choice. And lucky us in Illinois, they are already 2 payments behind because they have no budget yet.

I knew things were bad when they are teaching spanish in kindergarten . Really?? Might be a good idea to teach them English first:dontknow:

Watch the video, and you'll look at the problem a whole different way.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Now hiring college graduates" this was from a Chicken fast food place just getting ready to open up. So for you College Graduates don't worry the jobs are out there.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing that gets me is when someone comes online (maybe in a forum?) and asks a question that has been answered hundreds of times before. I like to direct them to the 'Search' box along with what words to type in...just in case they can't figure that out, either. That said, I think ALL of us at one time or another have what my wife and I call "brain farts" - it's when the brain stops working for a while. Just as a person can get a gas attack that lasts for days, it seems we can also have brain farts that last for days. The problem seems to be more pronounced in two main areas:
1) the old-and-getting-older group, and
2) the new-and-in-school group.

In the latter case, the problem can sometimes be terminal. :laughing7:

As for me, I clearly fall into the first category....and the wife rubs it in every chance she gets!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To anybody that doesn't collect coins, a 1912 dime would look like fake money. I don't blame school for kids not knowing what a 1912 dime looks like.

As for my 2 cents about the OP..what do you expect from an employee making minimum wage. You not going to get a college graduate to work the cash register. Most likely it was a kid who dropped out of school. Not saying it's right that they could do basic math, but if this was done at your bank then it would be a different story

I guess I might understand that. However it was ONLY 3¢, not an earth shattering math problem. I was a cashier in high school. We didn't have computers and did the math. I think the electronic age is making kids dumb.

KCM, your post reminded me of a saying. Have you ever stopped to think.................and forget to start again.

Also one of my favorite bumper stickers.

My wife gives me sound advice. 99% sound and .1% advice.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks SD - I'd give that post 30 Likes if I could!! :laughing9: :hello2:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, the cashiers can be a challenge but the Packers are worse.
There is nothing worse than having hot food put in the same bag as your ice cream , , DUHHHH

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Or canned goods on top of eggs (or bread, as the case has been!!)

Once had a bagger stand a 5 lb. bag of flour upright, then stand up next to it 2 loaves of bread.

When in the service, I worked part time at the base commissary as a bagger. We got paid "Tips Only". I learned REAL QUICK the right way and the wrong way to bag!! At least back then, everyone knew how to count money.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey! Speaking of "Austin in Texas," and "What do they teach in school?" check out our trip to Austin, Texas, to see our niece at the University of Texas at Austin!

Congratulations to your niece for making it that far!
You standing next to your avatar was cool.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amen brother!!! This is exactly correct - No discipline, and you damn well better not try it either - They'll throw your violent ass in jail or take the kid away.
It's all political, but - we on TN cannot talk about that.........so close the subject.

I totally realize not everybody can or will spend the $20.00 to become a Charter Member.... but THERE you can state your viewpoints and concerns. I just joined and am glad I did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread