What do they Teach in School Now??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You can blame it on the education system today, kids are no longer required to learn, if you fail them their poor feelings might be hurt, just push them through.....

Just like the idiotic idea of giving trophies to everyone and not keeping scores in sport games so their feelings aren't hurt...

Yes, that's exactly how the education system works. Where did you teach again?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's exactly how the education system works. Where did you teach again?

I'm a parent and a grand parent, I have nieces and cousins in school as well, we discuss things like this at family events....I also had my kids in sports till they got out of high school..... Why do you think kids graduate and cant do simple math, read at a 6th grade level and can't speak English..

Open your eyes and your ears you might actually learn something....

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we are at the point where the ability to actually think and figure out things will equal the ability to survive.
Why the hell do they dumb down societies? The ones in control can't be much smarter...that's scared!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why think... ?

There is an "app" for that.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well to be fair to schools for all we know this girl isn't a product of them...she could of dropped out, been in bad environments, be from another country, etc. Having said that more than likely she just wasn't paying attention. I assume after ringing up 100s of numbers day after day it becomes a blur.

You can blame it on the education system today, kids are no longer required to learn, if you fail them their poor feelings might be hurt, just push them through.....

And being in education at the university level I can say this is absolutely true. If you fail a kid you are going to get in trouble. If you make a class hard you wont get good class scores and you will get fired. Administrators, lawyers, democrats, and republicans are the ones pushing this down our throats. it sucks but it is happening. Being popular=getting promoted because the law of the land is that students are the customer and the customer is always right. Until education stops becoming a business this wont change...

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the young clerk at the grocery deli for a third of pound of lunch meat, and from the deer in the headlights look I could tell he had no idea what that was on a decimal scale. He tried to talk me into a pound, and I tried to explain to him that I wanted about .33 of a pound, but there was clearly no comprehension. Finally he settled for me telling him to lay slices in the scale until I told him to stop and I got my third of a pound.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Teachers in every state are having to "teach the test" in order that the school, the district and the administration look good. The goal is to make sure that the students do well on the state tests and eventually graduate. Math teachers have it the worst. They are forced to leave things out at all levels and another problem, at least in Texas, is the shortage of educators. There are people teaching today who are just not trained very well. My world got rocked when after several years of teaching Chemistry, I was made a TAKS and then Star (our current and previous test)test reviewer. They called it Taks Science Review. I couldn't escape so I eventually retired. Someone else did Taks Math and so on for each part of the test. I figure that is happening everywhere. Add to that that cash registers do the work for you and you have some poorly trained folks out there. Solution? Maybe we all need to start carrying our finds or collections with us and pay in EXACT change. But of course you know what the goal is? Carry that plastic with you and just swipe it. It's so much kinder to those McDonald's cashiers.

I work at a school in maintenance. I don't think it's the teachers, it's the new testing that they have to be re-trained for. And the Math, alot of engineers can't even figure out there own kids homework.

Here's where the problem is:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought something that was .56 cents. I gave the young clerk $1.06, I need quarters to wash the car. She told me I only owed .56 cents and I had given her way too much money. I explained that I would get two quarters back this way. She didn't understand and would have to wait for the manager. I said never mind and just give me the .44 cents back from a dollar. Then asked for change from a dollar. What kind of work force are our schools turning out ?
On an Archery forum, a friend told me you could tell all the young folks on there by their post. No caps, no punctuation, and lots of letters like "IMO" etc.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just like the idiotic idea of giving trophies to everyone and not keeping scores in sport games so their feelings aren't hurt...

Thank goodness we adults are thick skinned and don't get our feelings hurt easily! 8-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think what would happen if the internet converted to cursive....lol! Let the fun begin!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, these kids nowadays are a bunch a dummies for sure
I think you are all wrong ..If a child want's to learn they will learn . I never thought of it to be the teachers fault when a child did not learn for there are always ones in the same class that did learn... I always saw it as the child's and parent's fault when a child did not learn..I raised my grandson and he did very well in grade and high school .. Then went to college and made the Deans List every semester every year for 4 years except for his first semester in his first year..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key word is "wants" to. Most kids don't want to do what they should or need to do, there are exceptions. They are more about having fun. That is one of the reasons learning needs to be interesting at lest, to get and hold the kids attention while they learn.
The kids now days put more effort into avoiding boring learning situations than just learning the material being taught.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a school bus now and have for the last 9 years. The biggest problem I see is discipline now. When we drop these kids off in the afternoon they go home to no supervision. First off we do not have parents anymore. This is not politically correct, but we only have sperm donors and sperm receptacles!!

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a school bus now and have for the last 9 years. The biggest problem I see is discipline now. When we drop this kids off in the afternoon they go home to no supervision. First off we do not have parents anymore. This is not politically correct, but we only have sperm donors and sperm receptacles!!

Amen brother!!! This is exactly correct - No discipline, and you damn well better not try it either - They'll throw your violent ass in jail or take the kid away.
It's all political, but - we on TN cannot talk about that.........so close the subject.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The world is full of dummies. They even make a series of books for them

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
ummmmm, isn't that section for Charter Members "only"??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread