What do you all think? REVISED

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just added to the post about morel hunting. I mentioned finding some in an old orchard and it got me to thinking. Orchard!!! I have ACRES of old apple orchard around my house that I have NEVER gotten around to detecting.

Here's a Pic:
Old Orchard.JPG

You can see my house outlined in red. I am on the north side of a dirt road that is mostly covered by the top of the big yellow box. East of me on the corner is where an 1875 plat book says that the Darlington Farmstead sat.REVISION 3/4/08: the Darlington property DOES exist on a later map..I just found it on a 1913 Plat I haven't poked around in there to look for foundation evidence or a cellar hole, it's pretty overgrown. I have to go to the library when I get home from Iraq, but I don't remember seeing it in later plat books. This whole area in yellow is still known as the "Darlington Orchard". The small yellow boxes north of the big box show remnants of orchard on the north side of the road. The yellow boxes on either side of my house are stands of popple with rows of old apple trees going THROUGH them. North of my house are also some old apple trees that are survivors of old rows. A gully behind my house has a small dump but nothing older than the 30's as far as I can tell. Off of the picture to the west are more orchard remnants on the north side of the road.

I'm just wondering what the possibilities are for this area.....I can detect it anytime.

HH,
SgtSki

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
Re: What do you all think?

now your thinking. just about ready to morel when you get home have a good day.

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: What do you all think?

I find morels in this area all the time. I have never detected in here and was kind of wondering if anyone's detected old orchards. This one dates back at least to 1875.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread