What do you consider a good day of detecting.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just curious what others would consider a good day of metal detecting. And I'm talking about finds. I'm not looking for the answer: I just enjoy getting out. I'm really curious about what others consider a good days worth of finds.

For me, if I come home without AT LEAST 2-3 silver I am probably not in a great mood. Yeah, I'm in a good mood because I got out and had fun, but as far as finds go it's a disappointment. I would also consider 5+ Indian Heads a good day as well.

Of course this question also depends on where you live. I am in the midwest, so I can't find the old coppers like the guys out east. If I were out east I would be wanting older finds.

But a day without some good silver makes me wish I had spend the time detecting at other spots.

A day full of clad and nothing old would personally disgust me. And thankfully, that rarely happens.

When out in the water a gold or silver ring in the bottom of my scoop makes me smile.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When out in the water a gold or silver ring in the bottom of my scoop makes me smile.

Of course, this goes without saying.........

What tops my day off is nice eye candy at the beach. :wink:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver,indians, early date wheats, pre to early 1900's anything

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not so picky I'm happy if I come home with any coins or Jewelry at all, silver to is nice.

If I'd only get home with trash then that would be different... :thumbsup:

midas888gold

Greenie
Jun 22, 2008
Coming home with at least 1 piece of gold. Could care less about the coins. Been out hunting over 100 times this year, and only been skunked 9 times.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well I have adjusted my target to ONE good find. Could be a silver coin, an old piece of jewelry a token.

As long as I find one good thing then I can be satisfied, if not happy.

It is really difficult in this area to get onto property that I know has stuff to find! It is maddening!!!!! Most of the spots you can get on have been hunted to death. We still manage to find the occasional "stray" surprise in these places but it takes LOTS of work.

I got permission recently for TWO old home sites one dated 1900 the other 1850s. We couldn't find much there! What a dissapointment. But the ground was as hard as concrete and Baldingboy did find a silver rosie and a 1950 Netherland coin so it wasn't a total waste.

As little as I can get out anymore, one good find is all that keeps me going.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any day where I find more than I spend, I'm doing good. That is to say, if I'm finding more than I paid for the batteries, I'm paying for the detector.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Any day with gold and at least one silver coin makes me happy. And what Sandman said :thumbsup: :tongue3:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Colonial period sites and to be honest I'm looking for the big one... but from day to day my goal is to add something odd and neat to my collection. I get more excited about a new site and the possibility of what could come out than I do about almost everything I dig.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
from day to day my goal is to add something odd and neat to my collection.

Exactly.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I hunt Colonial period sites and to be honest I'm looking for the big one... but from day to day my goal is to add something odd and neat to my collection. I get more excited about a new site and the possibility of what could come out than I do about almost everything I dig.

Yeah, I wish I had those kinds of spots around here to go and search for. I am certainly jealous of you guys living in the older parts of the country.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bad day detecting still beats the heck out of a day at work.......................... :thumbsup:

Just for my own goals I consider any of the below a successful hunt for myself....................

1st Place .......Gold and Precious Stones
2nd Place...... Gold
3rd Place.......Silver
4th Place.......Watches

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
i never detect alone so i enjoy hunting with my buddies and enjoy their finds just as much as my own. i hadn't found anything that is great so i guess all might change when i start finding stuff but i enjoy it the way it is in the great outdoors

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
EDDE said:
silver,indians, early date wheats, pre to early 1900's anything

Chuck E. Cheese Tokens ... :thumbsup:
Hey Nick,
I found a "where a kid can be a kid" token today... dated 2000! Want it? TTC

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good day, is having the time to take a full day and metal detect.
Local, I usually go out searching for Civil War relics.
I would love to find a CSA Buckle each time I go out.
But, that's not going to happen.

So, if I can find a few bullet's maybe a button. That's kool.
If I find nothing, Will, I did get out in the woods, which I
feel at home in.

Ah, the great out doors.

It's the AMERICAN way

Roadquest

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My standards for "a good day" have changed over the years.

After 30 years of detecting Dodge City and surrounding areas to say I've put a dent in whats left is a real understatement. Some 20 years ago a good day was 10-15 silver coins and some gold. Today 1 piece of silver or gold makes for a good day.

Now as far as old coins(1800's) I consider it a good day when I find one. Kansas isn't all that old so any 1800's coin is a good find. You've also got to take into consideration that an "old coin" is relative to the area. Finding a 1839 half dime(my oldest) in Kansas is like finding a 1750's coin in Pennsylvania.

GoldBurn

Jul 6, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & GTI 2500
Other than finding lost coins, jewelry, and the odd relic, a good day is when I run into someone who has a story to share about the area, be it a park, school, etc. Information you can't find on the internet or in any library.

I've spoken with folks on more than one occasion that have told me that they've seen others in the area detecting, and they didn't find much more than a few pennies and a nickel or two. Meanwhile I've found a fistful of change in that same area just moments before. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread