What do you guys think?

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this metal detecting thought it was junk. After a closer look I think it's silver of low purity. Definitely hand made and crude. I posted this in the what is it forum too I hope that's ok. I'd like to hear what the people that are into Native American items think. I could be way off but someone else mentioned it could be and it was kinda what I was thinking. Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    812.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.png
    image.png
    736.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.png
    image.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a pair of silver feather earrings.
I think it's modern, and maybe a mold to make earrings/necklace pieces.
Could be someone was trying their hand at silver smithing.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a strong natural magnet to it (not one off the fridge)........if attracted even slightly.....not silver.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to update these pictures over here. The first one is the rough edge after I scraped it for testing. Both sides and a close up. If you look at antique feather earrings online nothing even comes close to looking as old and crude as this thing. When did native Americans start working with silver 1850s ? Oh yeah as far as acid testing I get a reaction some red however less than the 925 silver items I test. I have an old thimble that's marked 88.5 or something like that but its at the very bottom I can't quite read it. Tested side by side the 8?.5 thimble is slightly more reactive than the feather.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image.png
    image.png
    918.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 79

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Sometimes it's easy to say what something isn't, and this case it's not ancient North American or trade era silver used by North American.

You can google Fur Trade Silver and see examples of what that material typically looks like (usually French, but occasionally English & Danish or even Russia on the West Coast.)

Prehistoric North American groups did occasionally use silver, there aren't a lot of pictures on google, but you can search for Mound Builder Copper and see copper versions (including Archaic copper from before the mound builder time.) The silver they managed to use in ancient times looks like the copper. (Mostly beads, earspools, and thin hammered plates.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking a look and the comments you guys are always cool over here even when I have a random question. I think it' must be pewter and modern. On the plus side I learned a lot about the fur trade and now I know pewter is mostly tin with a few % copper or the older leaded silver. It's crazy how much I've learned from this hobby thanks again. Hopefully next time I make a post here it will be showing off my first point. I found a new creek I already hit and it January 2017 could be the year

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a new creek I already hit and it January 2017 could be the year

Looking forward to seeing what you find. I am AMAZED at how much stuff people are finding on a daily basis on this site....
Imagine how much stuff is being found by people that aren't posting on here. It's mind boggling...

I like the little feather no matter what it is...

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking a look and the comments you guys are always cool over here even when I have a random question. I think it' must be pewter and modern. On the plus side I learned a lot about the fur trade and now I know pewter is mostly tin with a few % copper or the older leaded silver. It's crazy how much I've learned from this hobby thanks again. Hopefully next time I make a post here it will be showing off my first point. I found a new creek I already hit and it January 2017 could be the year

I like the pewter feather and it could be old too but not as old as the native american artifacts you will probably find in the new creek. I've found transitional Paleo all the way up to the 1970's stuff in my creek so no telling what you will find, it's all cool. Good luck and HH! Can't wait to see what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread