diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand about the quantity and all the little items shown on this thread. However, I don't think you can pass this up without looking at all the pieces involved. There could be a single piece in there that returns half your investment, or two or three pieces that returns it all. You don't know until you check it all out. I'm not talking about the stuff in the photos on this link. I'm talking about the unseen items. Remember, according to the seller this is the "junk", so to speak.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've got a fairly good sized pile of sterling jewelry that has accumulated over the last few years. I threw everything that was broken or otherwise obviously scrap into the refinery pile & the "good" stuff was set aside for resale. What I have left is stuff that's too nice to scrap but not really worth selling individually. I'd make sure what this guy is selling isn't the same before I jumped.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a fairly good sized pile of sterling jewelry that has accumulated over the last few years. I threw everything that was broken or otherwise obviously scrap into the refinery pile & the "good" stuff was set aside for resale. What I have left is stuff that's too nice to scrap but not really worth selling individually. I'd make sure what this guy is selling isn't the same before I jumped.

The skeptic in me is wondering why this guy wouldnt just sell the Tiffany pieces individually as they should be worth a least $100+ each.

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
I purchase a lot of silver and I would pass on this deal unless it has a lot of Tiffany, and by a lot I mean at least 8 to 10 pieces. You are looking at A LOT of work there. Keep in mind you need to make sure none of the pieces are fake. I have been fooled by fake Tiffany in the past.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would pass as the Tiffany pieces being in their raise red flags. I also think that there is a lot of work there Identifying pieces and taking pics of that many items. Looks like some of these are going to be under or near 10 dollars and selling items like that on Ebay can be very time consuming. One of my rules when selling sterling silver on eBay is you have to make at least 3 x cost. This will cover lost items, theft and the biggest problem is customer returns as you have to cover shipping loss. These return happen at least with me most in jewelry for a number of reason i.e Buyer not knowing ring size, Color not what user expected and just buyer remorse.

My opinion is not quite so set if you do local fairs, flea markets and other similar venues. However it is still a lot of money as you are paying spot or near spot. I would also only buy on the contingent that I can test items pre purchase.

Cheers - Koffee

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming there's a lot left that's not pictured here right? If you have the time to separate all that out and list it then it's worth it. But if you do it as auction or in lots you're probably not going to get back as much money as you think. There are some good pieces there and if there is a lot more than what is pictured you're probably going to be okay. If you have a lot of inventory and that stuff is going to sit for the next six weeks or six months I would pass. I guess it depends how much time you have. If it is cold and snowing where you are you probably have a lot of time! There is a lot of potential there if stuff is sold individually, and cleaned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread