What do you think is the best coin detector out there

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
That was funny Keppy..

Fistfull, what about the wonderful, marvelous Maplins that find clad dimes almost as deep as the Minelabs with a dime at 42" in red clay soil? Isn't 41" on a clad dime almost as good? :icon_thumright:

Oh, and how about the National Geographic ones, and the ones that use a cell phone when held 1/2" from an AM radio?

LL

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
To me, the most important ability is accurate discrimination at depth. If a detector can't do this, I might only dig what IDs as coins, nothing over 4" deep with most detectors, & miss deeper, older coins. Or else dig everything that including signals bouncing all over, & dig lots of trash.

But what if a detector can ID accurately at depth? Then one doesn't miss all older deeper coins or have to dig everything.

The Garrett AT Pro is one of the best I've used for accurate ID at depth. Got a dime ID & it was a dime, 7" deep in dry, hard & somewhat mineralized soil, in a park that is heavily detected & that coin probably sat there for 20-30 years. My choice for now. Best wishes, George (MN)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
George (MN) said:
To me, the most important ability is accurate discrimination at depth. If a detector can't do this, I might only dig what IDs as coins, nothing over 4" deep with most detectors, & miss deeper, older coins. Or else dig everything that including signals bouncing all over, & dig lots of trash.

But what if a detector can ID accurately at depth? Then one doesn't miss all older deeper coins or have to dig everything.

The Garrett AT Pro is one of the best I've used for accurate ID at depth. Got a dime ID & it was a dime, 7" deep in dry, hard & somewhat mineralized soil, in a park that is heavily detected & that coin probably sat there for 20-30 years. My choice for now. Best wishes, George (MN)
George, If I keep reading these wonderful things about the AT PRO I'm going to be forced to take out a loan and throw my Cortes out the window! And I'm not just reading this on this site..........I have people on Facebook that i have never met posting pix of amazing finds using that machine. You got me thinking :o

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
a MD that falls in line with what you're looking for is the Ace 250 by Garrett. I'm not hyping Garrett, but the people that own them are finding a lot of stuff across the board, and they're lite weight
..................................my uncle owns one found over 170.00 in clad.with his but you could of done the same thing with any low end white's classic l,ll,or any low end prizm with less falsing...you couldn't give me an ace 2 fiddy :BangHead:....The best coin detector is a White's coin master l,ll,or lll listen too the beep and dig.that what I think any.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
LuckyLarry said:
If I didn't have a cz-70 and a few old yet fantastic Compass detectors I would opt for a Teknetics Omega 8000, for several reasons: Mostly because it cherry-picks MUCH better than either one of these other detectors in this video: I like the sound of the Whites but it appears to have a smaller coil than the E-Trac. The ML has a nicer appearance in my book. Check out the video;

I don't know how you can say the 8000 cherry picks better. The etrac gave the best signal there with the v3 right behind it. The Omega was bounching all over the place. It was a solid dig on the etrac and v3i and a questionable target on the Omega.

That said it isn't the same class of detector as the whites or minelab. It isn't going to compare as well so I don't understand why so many people are lying to themselves saying that the Omega is the next best thing. Great detector for the money but its not in the same class as an etrac or v3i.

Would like to have seen what they dug up from there though.

Bromly

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2011
packfan_1982 said:
LuckyLarry said:
If I didn't have a cz-70 and a few old yet fantastic Compass detectors I would opt for a Teknetics Omega 8000, for several reasons: Mostly because it cherry-picks MUCH better than either one of these other detectors in this video: I like the sound of the Whites but it appears to have a smaller coil than the E-Trac. The ML has a nicer appearance in my book. Check out the video;

I don't know how you can say the 8000 cherry picks better. The etrac gave the best signal there with the v3 right behind it. The Omega was bounching all over the place. It was a solid dig on the etrac and v3i and a questionable target on the Omega.

I own all 3, e-trac v3i and the 08, my personal experience the e-trac and 08 are the deepest,but the 08 is so much lighter and has a much faster recovery rate,It's my pic for any dirt digging.The beach is a different deal.BTW don't put to much faith in videos unless you were there ;)

That said it isn't the same class of detector as the whites or minelab. It isn't going to compare as well so I don't understand why so many people are lying to themselves saying that the Omega is the next best thing. Great detector for the money but its not in the same class as an etrac or v3i.

Would like to have seen what they dug up from there though.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use what i want to use...they all find coins,but you need to figure out what your wants are out of a detector...heated leather seats,power mirrors,tilt,towing pakage etc....they are all gonna find goodies and most at similar depths (cause thats where most targets are). i have used alot of diff makes and models as alot on here have and just like an automobile you have to find one you like and feels comfy..i dont care what other people like and use,cause its not a race...its about fun..i dont laugh and make jokes at the guy driving an escalade, or jag or hummer...or a tiny fiat.. whatever feels right to them...i drive a chevy silverado and use a whites vx3. im happy as heck. hope all of you are finding goodies and having fun cause thats really what this is all about.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
TESORO'S OF COURSE,,,LOL

What ever you get used too really,,,just having fun,,,,,,

Attachments

• 184698_2803665649858_1205120663_101456263_6750763_n.jpg
    184698_2803665649858_1205120663_101456263_6750763_n.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,031

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher Coinstrike in the hands of someone who doesn't whine about the interface and actually learns it well.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
The best coin detector out there is the detector thats coil passes over a coin and gives the user a signal that lets the user know to dig the coin. Show me a 5000 dollar detector that isnt passing over a coin and it's just electronics on a stick.

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the GTI 1500. It may not have the fast response of the F75, or the depth of the Etrac, or the light weight of the Tesoro, but it does have imaging capability which gives you true depth and size. That gives you more coins with less trash and less knee bends. When you hit a coin sounding target and it pinpoints as a B size, you can pretty well bet you'll dig up a coin. Now I'll give you, it is only good to 5 or 6 inches and you might miss a coin spill just relying on the B size, but you can really cherry pick a nice lawn with minimal digs!
I am not the only one of this opinion. Check out this site

http://mashdetectors.com/mashdetect...ting_Ever_Designed__The_Garrett_GTI_1500.html

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mine!!! it has power steering!!

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
I want to know the best deep silver killer depth from 7-12" if there is one. Not just a deep target machine but hiiting and IDing deep in old parks among some trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread