Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For shallow coins, my all time favorite was the Tesoro Golden U-Max.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have used quite a few brands, and have found good things with every brand I have used. The only brand where I have found coins mixed in the hole with nails is the etrac. I have had the etrac for 2 momths and it is a coin killer. That's is just a fact plain and simple. Sure it has a lot of bells and whistles, but it is a great coin machine.

If I couldn't afford the etrac, I would buy a whites machine. They are fine machines as well. I bought a used dfx and I found many great things with it. Sometimes you can pick up a used one fairly cheap. I got mine for the unheard of price of $300 and in great shape. If you are looking to buy new, the m6 is a good one.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found coins next to nails with Tesoro and also Minelabs. Like 'em both, a lot... but Tesoro Tejon / Vaquero is my go-to for pretty much everything.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here ive found iron & nails,bottle caps in sake holes with the v3i & the deus xp

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Many choices are out there and you will get different opinions on many different brands. The main thing is go with a reputable brand and you won't go wrong. Just pick one that fits your budget that has the features you want and you will be satisfied.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with a top mid level VLF will go 7-10 inches but a MINELAB ctx 3030 can go 15-20 and maybe more depending on size

I gotta disagree with that I mean ur telling me a ctx with a 6" coil will go deeper then a deus xp with a 13" coil or a v3i with 15x12 coil I think its more of the deeper u want to go the bigger the coil u gotta use

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't have a CTX but I do have an etrac, and the deepest dime I have dug is about 10 inches. Quarters a little bit deeper than that. Bigger targets as everyone knows will come in at greater depths of the 15 to 20 inch mark. Like christo000 said, the bigger the coil the more depth you'll get.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you think is the best coin detector on the market today. Parks, schoolyards and open fields.
Just performance, no bells and whistles. A detector that has good depth and discrimination and is quality built.
Haven't read a reply yet,but do you ask a woman how much she weighs or if she ask does she looks fat in this dress do you say" yes"?
WW3 will be started over lesser differences.:BangHead:
But since you asked the Gamma 6000 is the best.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Whites 4000D is like a vacuum cleaner for shallow coins.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want a good detector, one that finds good stuff then do this. Take your machine, put a bag over the head, like a crown royal bag, and go hunting. Dig everything that sounds good. More digging, less swinging = good finds.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have seen the CTX and Etrac are both great but honestly any detector is good for coins if you know how to use the detector.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want a good detector, one that finds good stuff then do this. Take your machine, put a bag over the head, like a crown royal bag, and go hunting.

I tried that and it doesn't work. Couldn't see where I was going & almost passed out! :icon_scratch:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you think is the best coin detector on the market today. Parks, schoolyards and open fields.
Just performance, no bells and whistles. A detector that has good depth and discrimination and is quality built.

Ask 10 detectorist and you'll 10 different detectors that are best.
One thing there are a lot of good coin shooters out there.

My preference is gamma 6000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread