what do you think of the vaquero for nugget hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero is not a nugget machine, but it will find big nuggets like just smaller than a dime. But most of the gold will be very small and the Vaquero just doesn't have the gain to do it well.

The smalles coil will be more sensitive to small gold.

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
heck if i could find only nuggets the size of a dime or larger i wouldn't complain ;D. so are you saying the smaller coil will help find smaller nugets?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
findit,

Yes, that is what Sandman is saying. The smaller coils are more sensitive to small targets (gold is small). Finding large gold nuggets the size of a dime is rare, that's why a nugget hunter would set himself up with a detector that would find tiny nuggets. It all depends what you want to specialize in. No one detector will do all kinds of hunting perfectly. Joe

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're most interested in nuggetshooting and slightly interested in coinshooting / relic hunting get a Lobo SuperTrac. That way you can have an excellent gold finder. Then get an 8 inch round concentric coil with lower pole to put on the Lobo for coin / relic hunting. ( the extra lower pole just makes changing the coil a lot faster and simpler ). The Lobo SuperTrac will find coins and relics a lot better than a Vaquero can find those small pieces of gold. This info is from people who've used the Lobo in the field for all types of detecting. The Lobo has the advantage of continually updating its auto ground balance for the soil conditions where it's being used. It's the only Tesoro that adjusts it's auto ground balancing. I almost got it instead of the DeLeon because of that one feature, but my budget couldn't quite go that extra bit. Maybe next time. ;D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
MOST float gold is rather small.
1/2 or 1/4 matchhead and smaller unless you are very close to the source.
(and that's a GOOD thing!)

Or if you are in Australia!

If you are consistently finding even 1/2 dime sized nuggets you might consider quitting your day job!

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread