What do you think?

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I check this place out tonight? Catching up on some cleaning of finds from the last week and doing some research at the moment. My buddies grandfather use to own this property very close to my house and said there is an old lock from the Chenango Canal down by the river. I searched the New York State Archives and found an old survey book from 1838 and matched up the map with Google Earth....look pretty promising? Think its the right spot? The Google Earth image looks like the lake is bigger but that is because its a gravel pit and there are 2 lakes there now; they are overflow from the river into dug out gravel beds. Google Earth can be deceiving sometimes so we will see. Any input positive or negative is welcome :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure why not give it a try. :dontknow: Won't know anythings there if you don't dig some holes. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !!! :D ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll met you there :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like the lotto --buy a ticket --take a chance

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I wouldn't be posting any of my sites on here cause some one can easily just copy all your research an jump the site be4 you even get there...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
LOL! Now that everyone knows where it is! its the remains of the Lock!

See you there as well then :laughing9:

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, I'm not too worried about anyone "stealing" my hunt sites . They are all mostly on public property and can be accessed by anyone anyways. And if they are that hard up for decent places to go then they are more than welcome to come :) I invite anyone who wants to come with me on almost all of my hunts. Like Obama says...share the wealth haha. Besides...I get just as much excitement out of someone else finding something as when I score a good find! :) So its official....be there 5:30 EST if you want to come!!!!! Coordinates are on the bottom of the google earth image!!!

stetson

Apr 14, 2010
Auburn,California
Bushido Dude said:
Meh, I'm not too worried about anyone "stealing" my hunt sites . They are all mostly on public property and can be accessed by anyone anyways. And if they are that hard up for decent places to go then they are more than welcome to come :) I invite anyone who wants to come with me on almost all of my hunts. Like Obama says...share the wealth haha. Besides...I get just as much excitement out of someone else finding something as when I score a good find! :) So its official....be there 5:30 EST if you want to come!!!!! Coordinates are on the bottom of the google earth image!!!

Now thats a great attitude to have :icon_thumleft:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello,
Great job on the research. Now all you have to do is find out if it legal for you to be there. Traces of the old canal system can be found nearby to where I live, but the powers that be are very protective
of the property. It's like a $10,000 fine if you are caught removing artifacts. A few years back the lock at the gate keepers house on Canal Road was rebuilt as an informative tourist attraction. Since a lock was a point of congregation, because there might be hours before any boats could pass, they found enough old stuff to make a nice large display. Most of the finds were non-metallic though. Things that broke and the folks would chuck overboard. I remember seeing some broken clay smoking pipes, plates, and lamp parts. Cool historical trash, but not worth big bucks.
Years ago I was in a local coin shop (that no longer is in business) and a young fellow came in with a handful of 19th century Canadian tokens. He said he just got back from a vacation in Canada where the family had visited a canal lock. He sat down to rest and stuck his hand out in the soft soil near the lock and found a couple of the tokens. Digging around, he found a few more. The coin dealer declined to buy them, and after he left, she said she didn't want the Canadian Government breathing down her neck. If there was anything to her logic, I don't know.
So, it's like the other guys have said.....if you are a gamblin' man........Good Luck!
Phil

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id go with it,looks like your zeroed in there ;D so ya got nothing too lose :thumbsup:
Good luck and let us know how ya make out,may take more then one look over tho ;D

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets go! i can run real fast........

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good two me ;D MR TUFF

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
good luck bud! but if you dont wach out they might call this a (locked topic) ;D ;D ;D willy

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful trying to pinpoint locations from old maps ... if possible locate canal channels, stone work, actual gates; actual registration points and map those to your Google Earth Map and GPS coordinates. I know that may be possible where you are. There have been discussions about differences of 500 ft. from old surveys. That is entirely true when translating from old Lat Long coordinates on ancient (1800's) map to modern GPS coordinates (WGS82 or above), its all in the updated modern earth terrain model.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread