Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a good relic shovel. Blade about 4". Cut a plug of grass, then dig the dirt deeper, putting the soil on a cloth or container. When your done pour all the dirt back in the hole and put the plug on top. Step on it to seat. If you like you can leave the plug attach by one side. As hot as its been you mat want to water any grass holes.

Ed Donovan

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ecdonovan said:
Use a good relic shovel. Blade about 4". Cut a plug of grass, then dig the dirt deeper, putting the soil on a cloth or container. When your done pour all the dirt back in the hole and put the plug on top. Step on it to seat. If you like you can leave the plug attach by one side. As hot as its been you mat want to water any grass holes.

Ed Donovan
Yipper,that's how it's done.I use a small fixed blade knife or sometimes a small spade if I don't have to be too careful.The water is a good idea,don't want brown plugs in a couple days.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old kitchen hickory knife. The blade i about 8" long or so and continues all the way through the handle. VERY sturdy and easy to dig a deep plug that fits nicely back into the hole without noticeable marks... unless the ground is bone dry.... then there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
So say your checking a good deep sound in a nice yard that seems to have some size to it, that may be a jar a foot or more deep. But you don't want to pass it by. You might probe to check that way. Then to go further, lay out a cloth and get out the post hole diggers. You'll be able to make a neat deep hole and if you do it right will leave no sign that you ever dug.
How many caches have been past by for not taking the time to check out those deep sounds while coin shooting?

P

pidjammies1

We hunt in several types of soil conditions. I wear a back pack to carry my assortment of digging tools. I have a metal and a plastic scoop, a pair of pruning shears for bermuda grass roots, ( miserable to cut with most shovels), a 4" spade shovel and the shovel is the one I use the most. Dig a cone shaped plug and use a hand held pinpointer. That is the most discreet way.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a talkative older gentleman yesterday at a site who had several homemade diggers much like the one in the ad. His brother built them for him. They have tempered steel blades of various shapes and he demonstrated how they handled different kinds of grass and soil conditions. He said he had an extra and would give me one next time we met. I'm going looking for him! As hard as the ground is around here you need something you can get some leverage with. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread