What do you use when the dirt is REALLY hard to dig?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With how dry and hot it's been here lately the ground is getting ridiculous. I hunted for about 8 hours yesterday and for a little bit today and the ground is so hard that my right hand is killing me. I've always used a blunt-nosed hand spade from Lowes...and anytime I find something new to use it's always because the handle has broken off or the blade gets bent. So far I've had this one the longest of anything and it's holding up well, but I'm wondering if there is something better for tough ground.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I use too. Cheaper than a Lesche and has held up great so far. I also carry a medium size screw driver to poke into hardpan and break out a chunk.

I use my screwdriver too once I break through the top layer, but it makes me nervous prodding around good coins with it!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Long handled gasket scrapers seem to work well.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
See "Homemade Digger" just posted today under Metal Detecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DIG REALLY HARD! TTC

Cherokee Dan

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 4000 Garrett Pin Pointer
AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am mding in the hard Texas soil and not someone's nice yard, I use a small pick axe ( actually a pick mattox ) bought at lowes, about the size of a good framing hammer. Not to heavy easy to carry.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I am mding in the hard Texas soil and not someone's nice yard, I use a small pick axe ( actually a pick mattox ) bought at lowes, about the size of a good framing hammer. Not to heavy easy to carry.
Hey, Dan! I've been to the Alamo a few times. Nice place! TTC

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When using a pick axe though aren't y'all concerned about hurting your finds? I'm thinking about visiting the army/ navy surplus store and seeing if I can find a shovel that is a little less conspicuous than the one I carry now though it does well. Great thread!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using a pick axe though aren't y'all concerned about hurting your finds? I'm thinking about visiting the army/ navy surplus store and seeing if I can find a shovel that is a little less conspicuous than the one I carry now though it does well. Great thread!
That's where accurate pin pointing comes in. You need to start off to one side and work your way to the "middle" of the target area. Knowing the depth is also very helpful in avoiding accidental damage. Use your pin pointer to narrow down the target location and take your time by digging carefully, especially in an area with known good/old/valuable targets.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Last resort tools. Frank...-
Tool wilcox 401.jpg
Wilcox 401 Has about 20 years usage on it!

Tool shovel-700.jpg
A M Leonard all steel shovel Has about 14 years usage on it. The blade is 24kt gold

Last edited:

TxFlag

Greenie
Jul 29, 2014
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Adventure 5500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"What do you use when the dirt is REALLY hard to dig?" I have a broken shovel and a few blisters currently from this.

The hard packed clay soil where i'm at sure isn't the same easy stuff I see people digging in on internet videos.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think I would walk away before getting out a pic ax. That is except if it were a cache hunt!
Frank...-
five star.png

PS:Hay Cudamark, if you are having so much trouble, only hunt after a heavy rain! lol

Last edited:

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hyvu5yha.jpg

WW-2 pick mattock with new hickory handle.
Head comes off and is stored in canvas cover. Can find them used on eBay @ $60-$80 complete. Just make sure it's real U.S. And not China.
I know mine in made by diamond calk.
ezabyze4.jpg

The pic end is long and sharp. It WILL bust up the hardest ground.
I often go through old asphalt and super hard dry clay/ chalky, Rocky soil.
I just try and pick AROUND where the target is pinpointing then break up center to avoid scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is right on the mark! Absolutely nothing will beat a screwdriver.
In fact, it's the best all-purpose digging tool that you could ever own for metal detecting.
Just yesterday I was digging in dry, rock hard mud and the screwdriver popped up a big mud clump with ease.
When you're able to pry up clumps, you can put them back like a jigsaw puzzle with no damage.
It's funny, you hardly ever see any posts about screwdrivers here and yet that is the most used tool in my arsenal.
Sure would reduce the amount of yellow plugs I see everywhere in the parks.
The sad part is most of those yellow plugs were made just for surface pennies! :BangHead:
Cheers,
Dave.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread